Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry, I have cross-posted this in the Campy section.
=======================================

I've seen Campyonly.com and they don't cover enough of the late 80's and early 90's to be of much help. The small pictures don't help much, neither (can't see enough detail).

The brake calipers look like the ones from this picture.

But the rear derailleur and brake levers look like the ones from this one.

The bike is an old Atala that my buddy said he bought new in '89. That isn't to say that he bought the bike with these components (he could have put them onto the bike after he bought it). I suppose I can post pictures of the parts here to get them ID'd.

Would it be considered heresy to combine the old rear derailleur with 10-speed Ergo shifters and Shimano rear freehub/10-speed cassette? I'm looking at this site and trying to get ideas for this bike.

The Campy rear derailleur's top pivot is not spring-loaded and the parallelogram can be adjusted so that the derailleur can be used like an old Suntour derailleur or like an old Shimano derailleur.

I'll try to post pictures tomorrow.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Hi

The brake calipers are Chorus monoplanars; the same as on the second link you posted. IIRC, Chorus (and other Campy gruppos) could be had with black or white brake hoods (I'm guessing you have white hoods; like the second picture). Based on this, I'd say your Atala is dressed in late '80s Chorus (pre-ergo). If so, your RD probably won't work with ergo. (Although I got a NR RD to work with 8sp Dura-Ace STIs - why? I don't know. Worked fine though)

Cheers

·
n00bsauce
13,507 Posts

·
Roadie with unshaven legs
2,027 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Shojii said:
Hi

The brake calipers are Chorus monoplanars; the same as on the second link you posted. IIRC, Chorus (and other Campy gruppos) could be had with black or white brake hoods (I'm guessing you have white hoods; like the second picture). Based on this, I'd say your Atala is dressed in late '80s Chorus (pre-ergo). If so, your RD probably won't work with ergo. (Although I got a NR RD to work with 8sp Dura-Ace STIs - why? I don't know. Worked fine though)

Cheers
Thanks! If worst comes to worst, I can replace the rear derailleur with a slightly newer one that is compatible with Ergo shifters.

Mel, I've already been to that site and could not find anything. The links I posted in my first post were directly from that site.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts