Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
From a friend, just thought I'd put it out there:

Hi everyone,

I just wanted to let you all know that on Saturday, I rescued a 5 year old American Staffordshire Terrier that was in danger of being euthanized from the Harbor Animal Shelter in San Pedro.

I had been following this beautiful dog's status on the internet for a while and I decided, after reading her story, that she needed a second chance and had the potential to find the perfect forever home.

https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd123/hands218/shelter DOGS/DSC_3310.jpg

This is Faith. She is a black and white AmStaff, about 50 pounds, that was found in an alley.
She has a beautiful, shiny coat and is very muscular, but because of her 2 month stint at the shelter she is a bit skinny, meaning she has a great appetite :)

Faith is one of the sweetest dogs I have ever come across. She is also probably the most timid and cautious as well. The shelter believes Faith had previously been used as a bait dog in dog fighting (meaning she was used as bait to get other dogs to attack her) and has been very severely abused.

Under her fur on her face and legs are scars that indicate she has previously been attacked or mauled.

She does not really show aggression to people and animals, but the shelter informed me she will bare her teeth, growl, and go on the offensive if approached with broom-like objects or if put in an enclosed space with another dog. Since she has been with me she has not shown aggression towards cats or people or even in her brief encounters with another dog.

Faith is very unused to being in a loving, safe home and hides in the corner of my room, curled up and sleeping. I believe this is because she spent two months hiding in her cubby-hole at the shelter, shaking. The sound of dogs barking still scares her a bit. She isn't used to being loved and is probably expecting abuse at any time.

https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd123/hands218/shelter DOGS/shelterandbsb-day028.jpg

Faith has the potential to be a great, obedient, loving dog. She loves taking walks and needs to spend more time on a leash. She loves being petted and sleeping in soft spaces (like on my bed!). Since she is still pretty young, she has great training potential and already responds to me when I say "come on" when we are taking walks.

I would love to to be able to keep Faith, but I really think she would thrive in a single dog home where she is the only pet. She needs lots of love and attention during her transition from abused shelter dog to perfect pet. Because of this, I am currently in the process of rehoming this beautiful, sweet dog. I would prefer to be able to find her a home with someone I already know and trust, and that is why I am coming to you guys first.

Are you looking for a dog? Do you know anyone looking for a dog? Do you want to be the person who gives Faith a safe, loving forever home?

Please, please, please give Faith a chance.

https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd123/hands218/shelter DOGS/DSC_3309.jpg

https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd123/hands218/shelter DOGS/shelterandbsb-day035.jpg

https://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd123/hands218/shelter DOGS/shelterandbsb-day030.jpg

She is wonderful and I am already in love with her. If you can help me find a home for this dog, please let me know. She deserves it.

joe

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
Aww. I'd snatch her in an instant if I didn't already have one. She looks just like my girl I got from the shelter and we can't decide if she's Staffy or Pit. Very similar background, scared of everything, but now she is just about the best dog I could've ever hoped for...very responsive, very respectful and polite (and no longer afraid of brooms thanks to postiive reinforcement with treats!). Doesn't run off, can take her just about anywhere off leash. Where she used to be afraid of everything she now will approach with normal dog curiosity but always in a respectful/submissive manner. The cats, especially Sticky, love her.

I hope somebody gives this little pooch a chance. Pits/Staffies are amazing and responsive animals.

Here's my girl...looks a lot like the the dog you've posted about, Joe. Hope someone gives her a great second chance at the good life. Keep us posted.

·
Sticky Valentine
28,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I had myself a proper place I'd snatch her up in a heartbeat.

joe

·
Lets Go Hokies!!!
5,930 Posts
What a sweetie. Sawyer was the low dog on the totem pole too, although not in a fighting situation. I really think it made him a more responsive, loving dog, because he appreciates everything a lot more.

I hope someone gives Faith a chance and doesn't just write her off because of her breed.

·
Registered
11,615 Posts
JoeDaddio said:
If I had myself a proper place I'd snatch her up in a heartbeat.

joe
P.S. whoever has her may not want to rule out a home that already has a dog in it. The right match (a calm, well-balanced dog) can be the best therapy and teach this dog how to be a dog faster than humans can.

Just mah .02.

·
2 busy workin' 2 hang out
12,638 Posts
HokieRider said:
What a sweetie. Sawyer was the low dog on the totem pole too, although not in a fighting situation. I really think it made him a more responsive, loving dog, because he appreciates everything a lot more.

I hope someone gives Faith a chance and doesn't just write her off because of her breed.
Just an FYI to anyone considering this that this breed is related pretty close to the American pit bull terrier breed and is lumped in with them for attacks on humans according to the CDC. Also abused dogs tend to have major issues and that is also something to consider.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.