Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Product

I just saw these and thought these can save my cleats. Anyone use them before? Like? or Dislikes?

They seem like they work to me, i'm just curious how easy they are to clip in and out of.
Have em and love em. Wear them all the time even in races.

Let me add a few things, they don't effect clipping in out at all if they did I would never use them racing. They are actually a real benefit the couple times I had to put a foot down in races because of crashes because I had much more traction than a bare cleat. They actually keep the cleat cleaner because its a little further away from the dirt and there are not any screw holds for the dirt to stick in. It won't protect you from mud etc but every little bit helps.

·
Registered
7,161 Posts
No experience, but I like the idea. From the pix on the site, it doesn't look like they'd have any effect on clipping in/out. Get em, and let us know what you think.

·
Registered
113 Posts
They look like they would protect the cleat from the wear and tear of stopping and starting. Since they don't cover the actual mechanism of the cleat, covers would still be needed if you plan on walking on anything but smooth, dry pavement. As most speedplay users know, once the mechanism gets dirty, it's very hard to clip out.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
I use 'em! Love the product. One of the biggest issues with wear and tear comes from stopping on rides, and walking around. This takes care of that issue without having to carry around a set of covers in your pocket. Great solution.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
I have them and use them (Z version), they work great (protects the cleat, keeps dirt out, and helps line up the cleat). I live on a dirt (sand) road, much easier to stand on the road with these before a ride. Highly recommended.

·
irony intended
772 Posts
okay...so when I get these...I don't have to tighten my cleats to spec because the cover will keep the screws from getting lost when they fall out...I can still get stuff in the cleat if I have to walk around in mud or grass or dirt or gravel that will hinder clipping in/out...those oh so heavy cafe covers won't weigh down my jersey pockets...I really need these...

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
okay...so when I get these...I don't have to tighten my cleats to spec because the cover will keep the screws from getting lost when they fall out...I can still get stuff in the cleat if I have to walk around in mud or grass or dirt or gravel that will hinder clipping in/out...those oh so heavy cafe covers won't weigh down my jersey pockets...I really need these...
I suggest you not buy them then.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
I wasn't planning to...just providing an opinion/observation. I'll just keep using the cafe covers that do a complete job and take about 5 seconds to put on or take off.
I had those and stopped using them because they were a pain to remember to carry everyday when I commuted and they took up space in my jersey pockets which I needed for other things. Also they were a pain to put on and take off (not much of a pain but one none the less).

The keepons, in my mind, have several advantages. They are always there esp at times when the regulars ones wont be (i.e. doing a cross dismount in a crit because someone dumped it), add to that I never forget them and they keep my cleats clean. Well worth every cent in IMHO.

Both work and work well its just depends on what you want them to do.

·
Registered
940 Posts
If they save wear, I will give them a go for my new cleats, mine really seem to take a beating and I always use the coffee covers. I dunno how many miles I should expect from a set of zero cleats but certainly not even 3k on my last set.

·
Registered
2,507 Posts
dunno bout you guys but these look like something that should have came in with the speedplay box. i'd definitely try these but i quit speedplay a couple of years ago.
You can spin it the other way as well, if they came in the box, folks that have no use for them would say "why are you adding something that I have no use for and running the price up?" Not to mention they are made by a 3rd party.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.