Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
462 Posts
I think that would be cool but Euro is right even 45 minutes seems like forever. I would have to pass on that. But maybe a team 24 hour race with like 4-6 peeps might be fun.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
No, thank god. Leave that for the MTB riders. Cross has a format and a set of rules, we need to learn to be the best riders based on the boundaries of the sport rather than changing the sport to meet our strengths. I'm dead set against stunts like this and would never attend one, though I might consider doing an MTB endurance race on my cross bike, that's different I guess.

·
Registered
303 Posts
firstrax said:
Should there be?
Having done 3 solo 24-hrs on my SS MTB (with back-up SS 'cross, just in case) and a couple years of 'cross racing, I find a 1-hr cross race to be more than enough ;)

M.

·
Registered
507 Posts
They tried it, the last guy riding said "bugger it" at 2:40 and was declared the winner.

Not just no, but H377 NO. Why would anyone do that to himself. Geez, that'd make like 200 laps around the course. Total brain damage.

That Iron Cross race FTM mentioned could be an interesting enduro event. That's how CX got started, was with point to point races, just not usually that long. But 24 on a regular cx course would just be wrong.

Ron

·
Registered
342 Posts
I heard next years version of RAAM is going to be off-road using Cross bikes. Race Across America, so it's going to be way more exteme than some dinky 24 hour cross race.

By the way, next years Tour de France will start in Great Britain. The second stage will actually be a crossing of the English Channel on pedal boats. I've heard that Trek and the Discovery Team were testing some advanced carbon fiber designs in San Diego a couple of weeks ago.

·
Kram has marked me
209 Posts
I did the Iron Cross. Not sure I'd call it a 'cross race', more like a race on cross bikes. It was mostly dirt roads, fire trails and single track with sections of paved roads linking it all. It was a lot of fun and I plan on making it a yearly event. It is awful hard on the body though. I was looking at the guys on FS mtn bikes with envy about mile 50. I'm not sure I'd do a 24 hour version of it, but if they ever expanded it to 2 laps, I'd be the first one signed up.

Ya hear that Mark Laser? 2 laps. Let's see it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts