Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am in the market for my first bike computer. I don't want to calculate too many parameters, the only things I would be looking at is the odometer or a trip meter which can tell me how many miles and whats the speed I am going at and probably average speed for the total ride.

so what are your suggestions ? :idea:

Thanks in advance. :D

·
TriHarder
34 Posts
I got a small wireless Bell computer from WalMart - great for us newbies. Great because it is wireless, super light, easy to install, small yet easy to read while riding -- all for about $20! It tells me speed, average speed, trip milage, trip time, max speed, odometer, calories burned and fat calories burned. Only down side is that the sensor can only be mounted on the fork/front wheel -- cannot put on chain stay/rear wheel. I have logged over 1000 miles on this computer already and never had a failure - even rode in a rain/sleet/snow storm and it continued to tic! Works great for me until I save enough for the Garmin 500!

G

·
Hi,

I am in the market for my first bike computer. I don't want to calculate too many parameters, the only things I would be looking at is the odometer or a trip meter which can tell me how many miles and whats the speed I am going at and probably average speed for the total ride.

so what are your suggestions ? :idea:

Thanks in advance. :D
Amazon.com: Sigma BC 1609 Cadence Bicycle Speedometer: Sports & Outdoors
This is the one I use. An inexpensive wired computer that does both speed and cadence (RPMs of the cranks) -- I know you didn't specifically ask for cadence but IMO it's something useful to have. I usually set mine to show instantaneous speed and cadence at any given time, but you can configure it however you like. There's a backlight option for checking speed etc. at night as well.

I've tried out wireless computers before and found them to be more trouble than they're worth. With mine I dressed the wires by routing them along the downtube water-bottle cage. I put both magnet pickups along the left chainstay -- both to detect rotation of the rear wheel for speed, and rotation of the crank for cadence.

You will want to mount the magnet for measuring speed on the rear wheel if you ever plan to use the bike on a trainer and still be able to track "average speed" (although with the resistance curve on a typical trainer, it won't exactly match what it's like to ride on the road)

·
Registered
81 Posts
I've got a Cateye wired computer. It's great. Large display, inexpensive and tells me what I need to know. I had a wireless computer but there were too many issues (speed would show really high when I got near any power lines). Wired is the only way I'd go now.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts

·
I <3 1911s
214 Posts
I tried a few computers and my favorite by far is the Cateye Strada Cadence (wired version). The speed magnet goes on the rear wheel so you can even use it while on a trainer. The problem I had with wireless computers is that they would stop working while my headlight was on due to interference.

·
Registered
2,812 Posts
+4 on Cateye Strada. I have both wired and wireless. I prefer wired.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
First of all Thanks to all for the great suggestions.

I was wondering, why do I want to calculate cadence ? Also I like wired version plus the one that goes on the front wheel (that way I don't have to wire it all the way to the rear wheel) since I don't do indoor training on my bike.

·
Banned
987 Posts
+5 on the Cateye Strada but get the Double WIreless wile your at it, 100 or so new or cheaper used on fleabay.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
First of all Thanks to all for the great suggestions.

I was wondering, why do I want to calculate cadence ? Also I like wired version plus the one that goes on the front wheel (that way I don't have to wire it all the way to the rear wheel) since I don't do indoor training on my bike.
You don't want to calculate cadence. The computer does it for you. :)

But seriously, if you're just starting out road riding, it's important to be aware of your cadence and slowly raise it to the ~90+ range. Having the cadence function will allow you to monitor your numbers (but not fixate on them) while developing a smooth pedal stroke. The goal is to minimize stress on the knees and build endurance, and maintaining a higher cadence than what comes natural to many (at least first off), will do both.

Here's a good article on the topic of cadence:
Metasport - THE IMPORTANCE OF CADENCE IN CYCLING

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You don't want to calculate cadence. The computer does it for you. :)

But seriously, if you're just starting out road riding, it's important to be aware of your cadence and slowly raise it to the ~90+ range. Having the cadence function will allow you to monitor your numbers (but not fixate on them) while developing a smooth pedal stroke. The goal is to minimize stress on the knees and build endurance, and maintaining a higher cadence than what comes natural to many (at least first off), will do both.

Here's a good article on the topic of cadence:
Metasport - THE IMPORTANCE OF CADENCE IN CYCLING
wow thanks for the article, now the cadence makes sense.

so a lower gear usually ups the cadence and reduces the pressure on the knees right..

so a cadence computer it is.

·
Registered
60 Posts
+5 on the Cateye Strada but get the Double WIreless wile your at it, 100 or so new or cheaper used on fleabay.
+1
I bought one for my wife this summer and just got one today for me (wanted speed and cadence) on my trainer. No problems w wireless so far. It sure makes install easier. Also, $67 shipped from amazon.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
wow thanks for the article, now the cadence makes sense.

so a lower gear usually ups the cadence and reduces the pressure on the knees right..

so a cadence computer it is.
That's correct. We used to say "keep the pedals light", but it actually meant keep pedal pressure low (with a higher cadence).

Re: the computers, I suggested the Astrale 8 because IME it offered the key features and reliability together with a reasonable price. But if you decide to go wireless w/ cadence, I agree with mtnroadie on the Cateye Strada double wireless.

Lastly, don't underestimate the importance of a rear wheel sensor. You'll need a computer so equipped if you ever decide to go with a trainer. With rollers, it wouldn't matter.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,981 Posts
Cateye Mity 8 or Cateye Enduro. Same computer but the Enduro has a heavier duty wire. They're wired. I don't like wireless computers.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Lots of recommendations for Cateye computers. If you ride at night and use a HID headlight mounted on handlebars, you should consider that many of these lights caused interference with wireless computers. Cateye computers seem to be particularly sensitive to this type of interference.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts