Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
bike computer

I would go to you lbs and just tell them what you need it for and if there a decent shop they should be able to find a good one for you and will probably put it on your bike which can be kind of a hassle if you have not done it before.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Cateye Mity 8 or Cateye Enduro. Same computer but the Enduro has a heavier duty wire. They're wired. I don't like wireless computers.
I'm with you on this one.
Really like the Enduro, perfect for a basic function cyclocomputer and tough.
I've owned a shoe box full of wireless stuff that didn't last, ate batteries or worked when they wanted to. Probably user error but I gave up.

·
Registered
30 Posts
The following should really be a new thread, but as a newbie I'm not allowed to start one until I've done more postings:

I'm tempted by the Bontrager digital sensors that nest into the chainstays of particular bikes. However, they only work with computers using ANT+. The only computers I've located that use ANT+ are Bontrager's own, which have more functions than I want. Does anyone know of others?

Thanks,
Steve

·
Registered
509 Posts
I had used a Cateye Enduro 8 on my mountain bike (which was alwas on the road) then recently put that Sigma wired cadence linked in a previous post onto my Cannondale CAAD. I like the Sigma better overall, although both are very nice. I preferrred the display size and backlight on the Sigma over the Cateye, along with the option to stem mount out of the box (only avail on the Strada line of Cateye).

The Sigma is slightly slower on updating the display, meaning it takes about a second for speed to change if you suddenly increase or decrease speed or cadence. Overall it does not make a difference and I think the benefits outweigh the slightly slower processor.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I just ordered the Sigma wired with Cadence from PricePoint, Amazon had it for $3 less but I was already placing an order w/ PricePoint. I did comment that Amazon had it for $29, guess I'll wait and see if I get an adjustment.
I'm looking forward to this addition to my training plan.

·
Registered
127 Posts
OK up front I'll admit I like everything clean and neat. If you go wired with cadence how do you run the wire to the crank area? Anyone have pictures of a clean/neat install?

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
ok up front i'll admit i like everything clean and neat. If you go wired with cadence how do you run the wire to the crank area? Anyone have pictures of a clean/neat install?
Keeping in mind that you said "clean and neat install..." :eek:

A better solution might be to wrap the excess wire with electrical tape, then zip tie.

View attachment 250168

Remember too that while going wireless negates concerns for routing wires, the sensors are quite large, so there's a trade-off. I have a pic of that as well (and that bike is cleaner), so let me know if you'd like to see it.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The following should really be a new thread, but as a newbie I'm not allowed to start one until I've done more postings:

I'm tempted by the Bontrager digital sensors that nest into the chainstays of particular bikes. However, they only work with computers using ANT+. The only computers I've located that use ANT+ are Bontrager's own, which have more functions than I want. Does anyone know of others?

Thanks,
Steve
My wife bought a Trek and added a DuoTrap which has to be one of the most elegant solutions to cadence and speed sensors. She tried the NODE 2 but really disliked it. For only a little more she got a Garmin 500 on sale and loves it. It works great with the DuoTrap.

I liked the Garmin 500 so much I also purchased one to replaced my Cateye Adventure which had interference issues with my headlights. I'm very happy with the 500.

·
Registered
20 Posts
As an almost new road biker (yeah...still waiting for it to get delivered to my doorstep lol) who's trying to lose weight (have another 25 I want to lose), I've been looking for a computer that also tells how many calories I've burned. Seems like none of the ones mentioned offer this feature, while the cheaper ones (Bell, etc) have them. Can anybody recommend a good wired computer that does cadence and calores burned?

Edit: I didn't mean to jack this thread, just thought that others reading this post could also be helped in the future, instead of starting a whole new thread for most of the same information which does nothing but clutter the search feature even more :D

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
As an almost new road biker (yeah...still waiting for it to get delivered to my doorstep lol) who's trying to lose weight (have another 25 I want to lose), I've been looking for a computer that also tells how many calories I've burned. Seems like none of the ones mentioned offer this feature, while the cheaper ones (Bell, etc) have them. Can anybody recommend a good wired computer that does cadence and calores burned?

Edit: I didn't mean to jack this thread, just thought that others reading this post could also be helped in the future, instead of starting a whole new thread for most of the same information which does nothing but clutter the search feature even more :D
Another member may be, but I'm not aware of any bike computers with that feature. Usually calorie counts are linked to heart rate, so HRM's tend to have the feature.

Here's a HRM that my SO uses. Pretty basic, but tells her what she needs to know.
Amazon.com: SIGMA ONYX Classic Heart Rate Monitor Watch: Sports & Outdoors

BTW, not trying to spend your money, but if you're just starting out road riding for cardio fitness and weight loss, IMO/E a HRM can prove to be a useful training tool.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.