Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
I have used some very basic ie cheap computers and they don't lastvery long and the wiring sucks. I finally broke down and when I got my new bike opted for a Cateye Strada wireless and I love it. It does the basc stuff you want and is wireless. I really like mine. I think it was like 60 bucks at my lbs.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Another member may be, but I'm not aware of any bike computers with that feature. Usually calorie counts are linked to heart rate, so HRM's tend to have the feature.

Here's a HRM that my SO uses. Pretty basic, but tells her what she needs to know.
Amazon.com: SIGMA ONYX Classic Heart Rate Monitor Watch: Sports & Outdoors

BTW, not trying to spend your money, but if you're just starting out road riding for cardio fitness and weight loss, IMO/E a HRM can prove to be a useful training tool.
This is an old thread, but it seems to be right up the alley I'm heading down, so.....

I want to get a cycling computer that has all the basic features, plus cadence.

I'm wondering whether I should be looking at one that includes a heart rate monitor??

I'd also like one that can upload data about rides, etc. to a computer, but I think that may only be available in high-priced models like the Garmin 500's and up?? I don't see that feature advertised in any of the lower-priced models I'm considering.

Until I read this thread I thought that wireless was the only way to go, but I see that many people PREFER the wired models--which are cheaper. I may have the wrong idea, but it seems like a computer with basic functions + cadence + heart rate would have THREE wires? That seems like a lot of clutter. [EDIT: just noticed PJ's picture--it doesn't look too bad. I assume that you tape or zip-tie the wire all the way up the frame to the head unit?]

My first inclination is to get the Strada double-wireless for $85, and deal with HRM separately, if at all.

Strada double wireless @Amazon

There is a Strada V3 that adds heart rate:

Cateye Strada V3

But this is an additional $75!. This may not be too bad if a wristband HRM is $90--per PJ's link. A wristband model, of course, has more versatility, which is a plus.

Finally there's this cheapie, Blackburn Delta 500 on local CL:

Blackburn Delta 500

It's wired, but includes heart rate. It's no longer available and seems to have gotten fairly mediocre reviews, so unless someone has some real positive feedback on this, I'd just as soon pay a little more. $50 for all functions is tempting though!

TIA for any feedback.

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
This is an old thread, but it seems to be right up the alley I'm heading down, so.....

I want to get a cycling computer that has all the basic features, plus cadence.

I'm wondering whether I should be looking at one that includes a heart rate monitor??

I'd also like one that can upload data about rides, etc. to a computer, but I think that may only be available in high-priced models like the Garmin 500's and up?? I don't see that feature advertised in any of the lower-priced models I'm considering.

Until I read this thread I thought that wireless was the only way to go, but I see that many people PREFER the wired models--which are cheaper. I may have the wrong idea, but it seems like a computer with basic functions + cadence + heart rate would have THREE wires? That seems like a lot of clutter. [EDIT: just noticed PJ's picture--it doesn't look too bad. I assume that you tape or zip-tie the wire all the way up the frame to the head unit?]

My first inclination is to get the Strada double-wireless for $85, and deal with HRM separately, if at all.

Strada double wireless @Amazon

There is a Strada V3 that adds heart rate:

Cateye Strada V3

But this is an additional $75!. This may not be too bad if a wristband HRM is $90--per PJ's link. A wristband model, of course, has more versatility, which is a plus.

Finally there's this cheapie, Blackburn Delta 500 on local CL:

Blackburn Delta 500

It's wired, but includes heart rate. It's no longer available and seems to have gotten fairly mediocre reviews, so unless someone has some real positive feedback on this, I'd just as soon pay a little more. $50 for all functions is tempting though!

TIA for any feedback.
JMO, but I think the second bold statement is a very good idea. For simplicity, keep the cycle computer separate from the HRM. IMO/E the more reliable units are marketed that way.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'll offer that I'm somewhat of a techno-dinosaur, so downloading data isn't something I get into.

As an alternate to wireless + HRM, I'd also suggest considering a wired cycle computer with cadence. I use both wired and wireless, and while my Cateye Strada Double works fine, so does my Cateye Astrale 8 - for ~$50 less.

I don't know which pic you're referring to, but you're correct that zip ties are used to secure the wires. With some care, they're not that noticeable, and the wired units tend to have smaller sensors than their wireless counterparts.

Lastly, if improving cardio fitness is one of your goals, I think a HRM is a useful tool, but read up on the topic to get the most out of the unit and your training.

·
Registered
123 Posts
JMO, but I think the second bold statement is a very good idea. For simplicity, keep the cycle computer separate from the HRM. IMO/E the more reliable units are marketed that way.

In the interest of full disclosure, I'll offer that I'm somewhat of a techno-dinosaur, so downloading data isn't something I get into.
Whaaaat???? No Strava KOM records for you??? :D

As an alternate to wireless + HRM, I'd also suggest considering a wired cycle computer with cadence. I use both wired and wireless, and while my Cateye Strada Double works fine, so does my Cateye Astrale 8 - for ~$50 less.

I don't know which pic you're referring to, but you're correct that zip ties are used to secure the wires. With some care, they're not that noticeable, and the wired units tend to have smaller sensors than their wireless counterparts.
Pic is in this thread a few posts back. You've got a sensor zip-tied to the chainstay and you remark that one could also use electrical tape to pretty it up even more. I assume that the wires then just follow the seat tube, top tube up to the head unit?

Since I'm working on my road-biking accessory lists, any savings is probably a good idea. I'll be less tempted to cheap out on important stuff like shoes and shorts. Although I do have a nice Gore Bikewear bib/jersey set that I bought last year, I don't think I should be allowed out in public in that outfit until I lose 20 lbs....

Lastly, if improving cardio fitness is one of your goals, I think a HRM is a useful tool, but read up on the topic to get the most out of the unit and your training.
Roger that. Thanks, PJ.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Astrale 8 vs Cadence

I went to Amazon to check on the Astrale 8, which is available also.

THIS one came up also. Seems to functionally equivalent to the Astrale 8 and about the same price. Advantage (possibly): larger numbers and FREE shipping (Prime member).

Any cautions?

·
Registered
90 Posts
+2 on the SIGMA BC 1609. You can buy it off of Amazon for $28. This is the one I use and it works great.

I would recommend this cycle computer.

v/r

Ajost

2012 Cannondale Supersix 105

·
Cycling induced anoesis
13,006 Posts
I went to Amazon to check on the Astrale 8, which is available also.

THIS one came up also. Seems to functionally equivalent to the Astrale 8 and about the same price. Advantage (possibly): larger numbers and FREE shipping (Prime member).

Any cautions?
Being a Cateye it's probably fine, but I have no experience with that model, so can't comment.

Nashbar is always having 'coupon sales', so if you wanted to wait a bit, you can probably get the Astrale 8 for around the same price.
CatEye Astrale 8 Bike Computer - Cyclocomputers

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have been using the Cateye V3 with Cadence and Heart Rate and it has been great. Only complaint is that the buttons are a bit fiddly but that is minor. My grouch was that I like to store my data on Runkeeper (I used the smartphone App) and the heart rate and cadence had to be entered manually.

At the risk of sounding like an evangelist, I switched to a MotoACTV. It is a great multifunction device. GPS, Wireless Sync, MP3 player, watch strap, cadence, HRM, customizable, regular software updates, pedometer, calorie burn indicator and more. The downside, it is $300 for the sports version with Cadence and HRM. The battery life is only really practicable for rides of no more than 4 hours.

Every ride syncs automatically to the online portal as soon as you are within range of the wireless network. It has built in coaching features with Bluetooth headsets and unlike Cateye V3, the sensors are Ant+ so swapping out sensors for other brands is easily possible. I believe with Cateye, wireless protocols are proprietory.

Having said that my advice if money is a concern, for your first computer is something cheap, like the Strada. If money is not an issue, Garmin Edge 800 if you plan to do long rides in new areas. If your rides are in local territory and less than 4 hours, MotoACTV is the most flexible and practicable device.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Being a Cateye it's probably fine, but I have no experience with that model, so can't comment.

Nashbar is always having 'coupon sales', so if you wanted to wait a bit, you can probably get the Astrale 8 for around the same price.
CatEye Astrale 8 Bike Computer - Cyclocomputers
Here's a side-by-side of the two at Nashbar:

Comparison

Looks like the Cadence has all the functionality of the Astrale, and on Amazon is cheaper to boot. I'll probably give it a whirl. Nice thing about Amazon Prime is returns are no-charge, no-hassle.

·
Registered
4 Posts
And here I thought the Cateye Astrale 8 had been discontinued, as I do not see it on their site's computer page. (Can't post a link yet.)

I have been happy with it on my old bike, and its original fall 2005 battery continues to power the device.

I ordered a Cateye Strada Cadence (CC-RD200) last night for a different bike. Wireless would be nice, but I'm accustomed to not messing with batteries or interference, so I stayed wired.

·
Registered
127 Posts
41 - 60 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.