Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
What about SmartPhone and Apps? What do the bike computers do that a quality App on a Smartphone won't?
I don't think there are any Android apps that will include cadence because it's all on bluetooth. You can buy an ANT+ adapter for I phones but not sure what apps it will load to. I used Strava and Sportstrackerlive with blue tooth HR before getting the Garmin Edge 500, now the phone stays in the saddle bag.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I like the planet bike protege. The 8 and 9 are the same except for the fact that the 9 is wireless. It's cool because you can see all the pertinent info all the time because it displays 4 lines. I have an ACT c-3 on my other bike. It has a HRM built in. Picked it up on Ebay for 15. Not too bad but I like the multi line one better.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Garmin Edge 500 - just skip to the one you'll stick with and don't mess with the intermediate steps.
That's exactly what I should have done. Spent around $100 for the basic computer at my LBS (Cateye double wireless, works great except for interference problems). After a while started tracking rides with my iPhone, and added a HR monitor ($100) and wife bought me a battery case for long rides - another $100.

Bottom line is I could own the Garmin 500, with HR monitor and cadence, for what I've already spent. The worst part is I STILL will end up getting the 500, it's just a question how long I hold out and how I justify spending the money.

·
Registered
432 Posts
That's exactly what I should have done. Spent around $100 for the basic computer at my LBS (Cateye double wireless, works great except for interference problems). After a while started tracking rides with my iPhone, and added a HR monitor ($100) and wife bought me a battery case for long rides - another $100.

Bottom line is I could own the Garmin 500, with HR monitor and cadence, for what I've already spent. The worst part is I STILL will end up getting the 500, it's just a question how long I hold out and how I justify spending the money.
Pretty much my experience too. I had a Protege 8.0 which I liked for it's simplicity, but i went through 3 of them on warranty returns before I decided I was tired of it. Purchased a Cateye Adventure which had interference issues with my headlight. Went with a Garmin 500 and wished I had done that from the start. Super happy with it and haven't had the urge to get something "better". Well, every once in a while I think about the 800...

61 - 67 of 67 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.