Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am filling out my university application forms as we speak. I intend to go into a pre-b.a. for 2 years then into the faculty of education for 3 years to become an english teacher. I would be interested in teaching older grades (high school). I would like to hear from any teachers on here for some insights and specific questions.
I Just want a roll call for now-What grades do you teach? how long have you been a teacher? THANKS!

·
Registered
442 Posts
University teacher

I teach at the university level, though sometimes I get the weird feeling that I am teaching at the high school level. I have been teaching for 14 years (full-time for 8 years), including being a TA in grad school where I taught various lab courses (i.e., intro to psych, experimental psych, and learning) and was primary instructor in others (i.e., experimental psych, social psych, and psych of adjustment).

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
I am currently doing my student teaching for a Masters in Teaching. My content area is English, I have a BA in English. I am in secondary ed which means I'll be certified to teach middle through high school.
In most states you have to get a Masters within 10 years to maintain certification. If you can find an MAT program it might be better to get a regular 4 year degree in English and then enter a accelerated or standard Masters program. It also gives you more flexibility in terms of careers since you will have two separate degrees.
Good Luck

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
bill105 said:
yyeezzzzzz...i am a teechur....a teechur uv zee llluuuvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvv.
:eek: :eek: ***scream!!!!!*** :eek: :eek:

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
bill105 said:
pleezzzz...dont try to rezziisstttt my leetle flowah. let my learning pour upon you like zee meesty springtime rain.

·
Strained coccyx etc etc
21,050 Posts
bill105 said:
pleezzzz...dont try to rezziisstttt my leetle flowah. let my learning pour upon you like zee meesty springtime rain.
i'm kinda turned on. is that ok?

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
bill105 said:
it was zee meesty rain part wazznt eet?
Is that sorta like a golden shower? (not a urination reference)

·
Registered
2,706 Posts
zeytin said:
Is that sorta like a golden shower? (not a urination reference)

zee teechur of lluuvv chooses not to regogonize your refrenz to zee potty. take away yourself and leev me with myself.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
bill105 said:
zee teechur of lluuvv chooses not to regogonize your refrenz to zee potty. take away yourself and leev me with myself.
Hmmm, teacher of luv I was referring to one of the most incorrigable "lovers" of all times turned himself into a golden shower to impregnate a chica.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
PsyDoc said:
I teach at the university level, though sometimes I get the weird feeling that I am teaching at the high school level. I have been teaching for 14 years (full-time for 8 years), including being a TA in grad school where I taught various lab courses (i.e., intro to psych, experimental psych, and learning) and was primary instructor in others (i.e., experimental psych, social psych, and psych of adjustment).
sweet! and it's nice to know that professors aren't beyond using south park avatars :)

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
well thanks for the responses zeytin and psydoc, before this thread turned into a freaky-deeky european love-fest.
I live in Canada and will be doing my university here, probably at the University of Lethbridge (right on U.S. border with montana) It looks like I will do my pre-B.A. in the arts and then apply to the faculty of education. combined, it will take 5 years-2 for the pre.B.A. and then 3 for the education faculty portion. I am currently faced with a dilemma based on two choices for the first two years- either I can take the general humanities stream (half of the courses are english, there's some science, some history, some options) or I can take the all-english stream (i believe it is 12 or 13 courses that are all english) my older brother, in his third year on the east coast, leans toward the humanities route, but I feel like taking the all-english route would work best for me because I'm very certain about wanting to teach, and I want to specialize in english. What are your thoughts on this?
Some questions are:
How was it finding work after your education was completed?
what's it like being a new teacher? (holiday flexibility, pay in comparison to later on, etc.)
What was the in-classroom training like? Did you get to choose which grade you taught as a teacher's assistant during training? (i believe it's usually only elementary or jr. high grades elligible to be taught for this, but did you get to choose between teaching first grade and fifth grade?
Thanks a lot-feel free to either post answers here or to p.m. me, whatever you prefer. Thanks again I really appreciate you taking the time.

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
cmatcan said:
I am filling out my university application forms as we speak. I intend to go into a pre-b.a. for 2 years then into the faculty of education for 3 years to become an english teacher. I would be interested in teaching older grades (high school). I would like to hear from any teachers on here for some insights and specific questions.
I Just want a roll call for now-What grades do you teach? how long have you been a teacher? THANKS!

teachers are evil.

if I had a bottomless pit, my 10th grade english teacher would be the first thing I would throw down.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I am afraid...

I am afraid that I will only add fuel to your dilemma. Is it better to know a lot about a little, or know a little about a lot? In my opinion, breadth of knowledge is a good thing when it comes to teaching. In many cases, the breadth of your knowledge allows you to reach more students and make what you are trying to teach them "click." Now, is there any chance that the general humanities stream could aid you in the future when it comes to jobs, promotions, etc.? You indicate that you want to specialize in english. Given that there are some options in the humanities stream, where 50% of the courses are in english, you could essentially be specializing in english by taking more english courses as your "options." Even if you absolutely love english, there is a chance that too much english studies could bore you and you would find yourself craving for something new to break-up the monotony of your homogeneous study stream. Has your older brother explained his reasons for choosing the humanities stream? If not, then ask him. Perhaps he knows something he has learned from others.

How was it finding work after my education? I guess I was fortunate. I applied to the non-academic as well as the academic sector. I was offered jobs in both areas, but I decided to give teaching a go as moving from academia to industry is easier than going the other way around...at least it is in my area. I started interviewing in the Fall of '97 and was graduating June of '98.

Being a new teacher is pretty cool. The weirdest thing I experienced was beginning to lecture on my first day of teaching and realizing that the students were writing down what I was saying. The flexible schedule is another benefit along with the holidays. Also, if you are lucky enough to teach summer school, you can earn some pretty decent cash in a short amount of time. For me, I get 10% of my gross salary for summer school that lasts 6-weeks. I have been fortunate to teach two courses over the summer each year. As for holidays, I get a week at Thanksgiving, 4-weeks at Christmas, Martin Luther King, Jr, a week for Spring Break, and I am finished in the first week of May. There is a 3-week break before my summer term begins, which is optional, but the money is just too good to turn down.

I received no in-classroom training. As a grad student, we had to go through a TA training program that was 3-4 days long and that was it. Given that I was a doctoral student, I taught Freshman, Sophomore, and Junior level courses.

·
Registered
442 Posts
I am less of a...

I am not your "traditional" professor or what people think of as a professor. You see, I was a "juvenile deliquent in training" who took a wrong turn :D Although I am 39-years-old, I feel like I still have the maturity level of an 8- to 12-year-old. Here are some sample exam questions from my intro class where I often reference the Simpson's, King of the Hill, Seinfeld, SouthPark, etc.

After discovering that the shadows outside his window were only trees in the yard, Homer’s blood pressure decreased and his heartbeat slowed. These physical reactions were most directly regulated by his:

a. Parasympathetic nervous system *
b. Sympathetic nervous system
c. Skeletal nervous system
d. Sensorimotor nervous system
e. hunger for donuts

Imagine that you are looking straight ahead at someone. Images on the left will be sent:

a. by both eyes to the left hemisphere
b. by both eyes to the right hemisphere *
c. to the right hemisphere by the left eye only
d. to the right hemisphere by the right eye only
e. via e-mail. Images on the right will be sent via USPS

You are a Performing Arts major back in the 1960’s. You agree to be in Dr. Milgram’s research study on punishment and learning. Your role in the study is to cry out in distressed pain when you are apparently shocked by another person. Your role in the study is that of:

a. accomplice
b. arbiter
c. co-conspirator
d. confederate *
e. Jason, Freddy, Leather Face, and Michael Meyers

Dr. Seuss has been seeing a client, Cindy-Lou Who, for two years. During this time, his client has been attached to him, and in fact is growing increasingly affectionate in their sessions. Dr. Seuss suspects that Cindy-Lou is not the real target of his client's affection, and that her behavior may demonstrate:

a. free association
b. resistance
c. transference *
d. hysteria
e. an unbridled desire to mate with the Grinch

Hank Hill’s son, Bobby, was recently bitten by a snake. Although Hank tried to hit the snake with his fist before it reached Bobby, he was unable to prevent it from biting his son. Bobby is fine, but Hank's hand has become paralyzed. However, examination and testing show no physical damage to his hand. Hank's paralysis may reflect:

a. psychosomatic disorder
b. hypochondriasis
c. insanity
d. conversion disorder *
e. Dang ol' destiny, man. Talkin' 'bout the planets align, just like a big ol' dipper, man.
Well, I'm just like the North Star, I'm always gonna be there, man...just like dang ol'
UPS and Hertz Gold, man.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
thanks a lot psydoc, that was really helpful. the education program i'm looking at is really, really hands on. you have 3 years as a tsaching assistant, which is mostly observing for your first year, doing about 30% assisting, 30% teaching and 30% observing in year 2, and working up to doing most of the teaching/planning by yourself by the end of year 3.
I will basically have 5 or 6 hundred hours of classroom experience already when i graduate.
I am starting to think maybe humanities is the way to go. part of my reasoning before was that i didnt want to be behind the kids that had done the english route when we meet in education program, but i am thinking maybe well-rounded is the way to go. i did ask my brother his reasons and he echoed your advice- he said english is something you can conquer on your own time whereas poly sci, etc. require teacher guidance to get a grip of. i will definitely be thinking about this. thanks again!

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Couple suggestions from the trenches. Since it is going to take 5 years anyway, check and see if there is such a thing as a 1 year accelerated Master's on top of the 4 year Bach degree like we have here in the States.
In addition, pay attention in grammar class. Also having a solid background in English is not something to pass up; those high school kids can really throw you some loopy questions.
Good luck

1 - 20 of 22 Posts