Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was about to pull the trigger on a Gunnar Roadie, but was introduced to the Ebisu, lugged steel Road frame. It weighs roughly 3.1kg for the frame and fork and, in my retro-loving estimation -- it's a beautiful bike. Does anyone know anything about the quality of the steel, or have any other details, so I can try to decide between the Roadie or Ebisu Road?

I should also mention that I have no intentions of racing, but I do live in Colorado, so I will be up in the hills quite a bit (if that matters).

·
Banned
7,071 Posts
arcticmango said:
I was about to pull the trigger on a Gunnar Roadie, but was introduced to the Ebisu, lugged steel Road frame. It weighs roughly 3.1kg for the frame and fork and, in my retro-loving estimation -- it's a beautiful bike. Does anyone know anything about the quality of the steel, or have any other details, so I can try to decide between the Roadie or Ebisu Road?
Jan Heine say good things about it. So that should tell you that it's a decent bike for 600km brevets.

If you race, or plan to race, get the roadie.

If you don't race and really honestly just plan to spend your time trying to catch the horizon, get the ebisu. I've seen one in person and they are pretty flawless. Gorgeous bike. Haven't ridden one.

Figure longer chainstays, slightly different geometry, room for fenders, wider tires, braze ons for racks.

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
Uses Kasei tubing instead of True Temper OX Platinum. Which, as far as I know, are both of highest quality.

The Roadie (I had two--and a Sport) is a race-oriented bike with steep frame angles. Clearance for larger tires is limited and fitting fenders is tough.

For my style of riding (slow, carry stuff) and aesthetic preference I'd get the Ebisu.

·
Registered
301 Posts
I had a Roadie for 5 months and it wasn't the fastest bike in my stable by a long shot. My DeRosa steel and Orbea Lobular ate it for lunch. I myself would go for a steel bike with lugs.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The Ebisu is the superior bike in my mind, no question. I've ridden one and it was sublime. However, unless you can visit Hiroshi at Jitensha in person (which means a trip to CA), I'd lean towards the Gunnar. You might be able to make it work over the phone if you can fit standard geometry but for custom you really need to visit in person. There is also a significant wait time for an Ebisu, but I'm not sure exactly what it is right now.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
ben_san said:
but for custom you really need to visit in person.

couldn't you just send the desired geo/specs (if known)?

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,303 Posts
3.1 kg frame and fork comes out to almost 7 pounds. That's going pretty "retro".
I did some checking, and their tube set is just DB 4130 steel. Something that you could buy 25 years ago.
Unless this frameset goes for $300, I'd go with the Gunnar.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts