Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ride a titanium fixie? Most of the bikes I see on this forum are retro steel conversions or use newer steel track frames. (My ride is an old, rusty steel conversion.) Seems to me that a rust-proof titanium frame would make the perfect road fixie: weather proof with a smooth ride.

My guess is that there are very few titanium road frames with horizontal dropouts so there are few, if any, conversions. A Ti fixie road bike (if one exists) would likely be a custom (gulp!) frame or some specialized track bike. Anyone ever see such a thing? Got any pictures?

I have a custom Ti road bike but one is my limit. I know that you can get titanium track rear dropouts. If I ever win the lottery, I will have a custom Ti fixed gear road bike made up.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Confession time - I've got one

I have a custom (yeah, you were right) Strong ti fixie/ss. It doesn't have track ends 'cos I think they look ugly on a road bike. So, instead, it has breezer drop outs and an eccentric BB. Oh, and it also has S&S couplers. Expensive? You bet. Worth it? You bet (as long as my wife never finds out how much it actually cost). I would post a photo but I can't work this £*&^$%"" system yet. There are, I think, some pics of my bike on Carl's website, under the customer reference part.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds Great

How does it ride? What kind of fork did you put on it? How do I find Carl's website?

Too many questions. I guess I am jealous.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Not a problem

It rides just fine, but that is probably because Carl got the fit just right. Because this was a real money-no-object job, I went for 6/4 ti rather than 3/4 ti which I already had (I have a Merlin Cyrene). Taking account of the design differences, can I tell the difference between between 6/4 ti and 3/4 ti? No. Was it worth the extra money? Probably not. Is it really cool? Yep.
The fork is a steel fork that Carl made for the frame. He suggested it because it allowed him to get the trail just right whilst also allowing the fitting of a front canti brake (I have no rear brake). The fork has been great - it's nice to see the fork ends move as you ride along.
Carl's website is at wwww.strongframes.com and my bike is on the customer referral page.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I am truly jealous

Steel fork? Cantilever brake? Eccentric bottom bracket? 6/4 ti? A truly custom build. I might make some different choices but individual choice is the best part of a custom-built bike. Definitely cool. No sense my even thinking about it. My wife would kill me.

I like Strong's website, but I cannot find the picture.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Photo and staying alive

If you are interested you get to the photo by going to www.strongframes.com -> the Buzz -> Customer Referral Centre -> Other countries -> submit -> click on picture.

I've found that it helps to take her mind off the last bike by getting a new one. So, I presently have an ebay Merckx Columbus Max being built up - a real bargain, or so I will say anyway.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet

S&S couplers and no rear brake or deralleur cables to get in the way. Clean lines. Looks like a great travel bike as well as a commuter.

Good luck with the new Merckx.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Speakin' of Merckx, Ti, and Fixies

I once saw a Merckx Ti AX built up as a fixie, with one of the new White Bros eccentric hubs. Fairly low bb for a fixie, but with the right clipless pedals, should be OK.

-Ray

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.