Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am not a pro racer, but enjoy a good TT Frome time to time. I have ruined many handlebars by these clip on bars, and I am not terribly eager to ruin my WCS bars I have now. I could swap out the handlebars too, but that is a hassle any time I want to TT. Any tips that work or am I stuck?

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
Bars are either rated for clip on aero bars or they are not. After having ruined "many" handlebars, perhaps it's time to follow the manufacturer's recommendations.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
Pretty sure the OP has answered his own question, he just doesn't realize it yet.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the condescending comments! I obviously am not that stupid. I mean scratching, not crushing. I don't want to ruin my bars by scratching them with the aerobars

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
What do you mean by "ruin"? You mean you cracked the bars many times and haven't quit yet? Or by "ruin", you mean just putting scratches on them? But if you think about it, a bar designed to take on clip-on has to be sturdy and beefy at the clamp region. That means no weightweenie carbon bars! Your WCS bars sound like a weightweenie one?

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,563 Posts
Thanks for the condescending comments! I obviously am not that stupid. I mean scratching, not crushing. I don't want to ruin my bars by scratching them with the aerobars
I figured you weren't crushing them. Pretty much impossible to not scratch them as you've repeatedly discovered. You can't put anything between the clamp and the bar that will both protect the bar and not slip. Your solutions are:

Merckx style TT.
Dedicated TT bars.

You have to admit when you threw 'ruined many bars' into your post asking for suggestions how not to ruin bars you were pretty much asking for it. If you can't handle a critical comment on an online forum real life must be pretty rough.

·
Registered
6,832 Posts
Thanks for the condescending comments! I obviously am not that stupid.vanadium I mean scratching, not crushing. I don't want to ruin my bars by scratching them with the aerobars
ah. Well whenever you have something clamped against something, you're gonna leave scratches on something somewhere. That's just life.

But hard vanadium chrome (like used in professional tools) is pretty resistance to scratching. But I reckon making bars out of them is a little heavy

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
30,946 Posts
What do you mean by "ruin"? You mean you cracked the bars many times and haven't quit yet? Or by "ruin", you mean just putting scratches on them? But if you think about it, a bar designed to take on clip-on has to be sturdy and beefy at the clamp region. That means no weightweenie carbon bars! Your WCS bars sound like a weightweenie one?
Ritchey has lots of bars branded "WCS"...some are carbon
WCS Carbon Streem II Road Bar | Ritchey

some are alloy:
Ritchey WCS NeoClassic Wet Black Road Bar | Ritchey

OP needs to be more specific.

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Maybe wrap some leftover handlebar tape and then clamp? The tape will crush down a bit so shouldn't slip too much. Might still scratch.

·
Registered
394 Posts
One of the first things I was told when I joined these forums went something along the lines of "its a tool not a showpiece." If you want to ride your bicycle it will get scratched, worn and in general used. If you want it to stay pretty then prepair to spent lots of money on superficial crap or just don't ride it.

·
Banned
2,075 Posts
apply some anti-scratch liquid between the mating surfaces.

works like a charm.

I've done it time and time again.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts