Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
to center the brake pads on my Diacomp brakes from an 80s Fuji Sagres. Everytime I squeeze the brake lever, the pads go to one side. I'm I missing something here?

· Registered
330 Posts
KendleFox said:
to center the brake pads on my Diacomp brakes from an 80s Fuji Sagres. Everytime I squeeze the brake lever, the pads go to one side. I'm I missing something here?
Put a drop of oil on the springs where they make contact with the arms. After squeesing the brake so that one pad is stuck against the rim. Use a small brass drift and a hammer to give the the top of the spring a wack on the side opposite of the stuck pad. This should center the caliper and allow both arms to move freely. It may take a couple of wacks to get it right. If you go too far, wack the other side until centered. If you don't have a brass drift, try to find a small piece of wood like a dowel or something that won't break the chrome on the spring.

· Banned
1,013 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks

for the tip.

I think I tried it, but I ended up loosening the main brake bolt. I must be an idiot or something, as I dont remeber having this type of problem in my old BMX days. I may run it down to the shop and ask them, since I need to get the rims trued.:)

· Registered
14 Posts
Holdem is right,

When you tighten them, try to center them at the same time. Then squeeze the lever a few times to let the caliper return to where it really wants. If that isn't centered, use the drift punch as another poster described.

I've used an old screwdriver as a punch before. Although I wouldn't ever do that with another person's bike. It's a bad use of tools and will damage the calipers spring's finish, but I'm a primitive Pete sometimes.

· "It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
KendleFox said:
for the tip.

I think I tried it, but I ended up loosening the main brake bolt. I must be an idiot or something, as I dont remeber having this type of problem in my old BMX days. I may run it down to the shop and ask them, since I need to get the rims trued.:)
Loosen the rear bolt all the way. As you tighten the rear bolt, you will tend to pull one of the brake pads toward the rim while you pull the other one away (as the brake rotates in the direction you are torquing the wrench). Hold the brake such that the pad that is going to rotate away from the rim is right up against the rim. Now tighten the nut in the back of the fork (or chainstay bridge). Tighten the nut until it starts to get snug, while still holding the brake as described. Just before the nut is all the way snug, allow the brake to rotate into perfectly centered position with the rotation of the nut. If it rotates too far, and the other brake pad is now too close to the rim, you can grip the brake and rotate it back the other way as you turn the nut backwards as well. This way, you do not actually loosen the nut on the brake bolt because you are rotating them together. Play with it until it is perfectly centered.

Note: On a sidepull brake, these instructions assume that you have properly tensioned the nut(s) on the front of your brake. Before you start trying to center the brake, you need to adjust the front nuts such that there is no slop in the system, but the calipers can move freely without binding.

If you adjust the brakes correctly this way, you should not need to use a punch (or a screwdriver) to center it after the fact. But don't be afraid to use the punch method if you need to.

- FBB

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.