Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the forums and cycling in general. I live in Toronto and am looking to purchase a bike and some gear. A total newbie to the sport, but am really looking to get into the sport. I was wondering if there were any Toronto members here that would be willing to help me out find a road race bike. I would be willing to compensate for your time and effort just looking to get a great deal and not get ripped off. Thanks.

Andy

[email protected]

· Road Monkey
38 Posts
Hey Andy,

I'm based in Toronto. I bought my first bike from a place called Silent Sports. They have a "Bike Swap" where you can buy a good used bike for a good price. I think the next one is in September, but google them and you can find out when it is.

They're up Yonge St. at Steeles I believe.

Its probably a good idea to start out this way especially if you are really new. The used bikes they sale at the "Bike Swap" are in good condition. The way it works is that if you want to sell the store a bike they'll either give you 80% of its value in cash or 100% of its value in store credit. So they're going to set the prices at a fair levels for buyers.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Another good place to look for tips is the Toronto Bike Network.

· Registered
35 Posts
I went through the same process this spring. I hadn't ridden in 15 years and decided to get back into the sport. I visited a few bike stores and read what I could on-line. Once you find a good bike store and get a general idea of what's out there, you should be ok. These links may help you with that:

http://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=348128

http://www.roadbikereview.com/cat/latest-bikes/road-bike/PLS_5668crx.aspx

Most of the sales people that I spoke to were very helpful, knowledgeable and tried to direct me towards products they believed best suited my needs. Obviously, they are also trying to direct you to products that they sell. The reviews from this forum are also helpful since they should be unbiased and based on accounts from real users. Also, ask a lot of questions on this and other forums. I found the feedback very helpful.

The price of most bikes can be compared from store to store or on-line, so I didn’t find that much of an issue. I did find that my budget constantly expanded as I learned about the various bikes and became more lustful for the latest technology. I should add that I have no regrets for spending more money than I originally intended. In fact, I’m now considering upgrading a few of the stock components. Once you get on your new bike and start riding, you'll be hooked and the few extra bucks will be forgotten.

Make sure you get your bike properly fitted by someone qualified. It is worth it. Also keep in mind all of the other things you need to buy with your new bike (pump, repair kit, saddle bag, shoes, shorts, computer, helmet, etc).

Best of luck.

· Registered
868 Posts
There are lots of shops in Toronto to visit but it really depends on your price range and what you want to actually do with your bike. La Biccicleta and Wheels on Bloor are great places if you want the best or close to the best racing bike. But if you want something just to ride around maybe some of the other shops in town would suit you better, places like the Trek Store on Yonge or even Sporting Life (if the bikes are on sale). Again it all depends on your needs and wants.

I was recently in Ziggy's on Dufferin and it is a great little place with a wide range of bikes and the owner has been in the biz for a long time. You might want to check him out.

If you want a deal then wait until October when the Toronto Fall Bike Show happens. I go every year and the deals are great. Saturday, October 18, 2008 10 am - 5 pm.

Many years ago I worked in a bike shop and the first thing I did was ask the customer what they thought they needed a bike for. I spent more time trying to analyse their needs then selling them a bike. Picking a bike is the easy part, figuring out what people need was the hard part. Figure out what you need and the rest is easy.

· Registered
1,074 Posts
theWdotY said:
Hey Andy,

I'm based in Toronto. I bought my first bike from a place called Silent Sports. They have a "Bike Swap" where you can buy a good used bike for a good price. I think the next one is in September, but google them and you can find out when it is.

They're up Yonge St. at Steeles I believe.

Its probably a good idea to start out this way especially if you are really new. The used bikes they sale at the "Bike Swap" are in good condition. The way it works is that if you want to sell the store a bike they'll either give you 80% of its value in cash or 100% of its value in store credit. So they're going to set the prices at a fair levels for buyers.

Let me know if you have any other questions. Another good place to look for tips is the Toronto Bike Network.
I too vote for silent sports. I buy a lot parts from them. I haven't bought a complete bike from them yet. They don't carry either Kona or Cervelo which I'm a big fan of. But I do like them for service and parts. All of my bikes/frames I purchased them from Dukes downtown Toronto.

What is your budget and what cycling goals do you have? That will help on the rest of the people giving you suggestions on what to look at.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.