Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked all over the forums and online for any updates on the Mavic R-System wheelset recall. My dealer originally told me that they would be out by the end of March. Didn't happen. Then he said the end of the first week in April Didn't happen. Now he says he called Mavic and they now say the last week in April, or somewhere around the first week in May. I seriously doubt they are going to extend my warranty on the wheels that I had to return to them, so the clock is ticking and I am not enjoying what I paid a ton for.

I did see that they were putting the R-system wheels on the new Super Six's, quote from a review of the 2009 Cannondale SuperSix:

" Mavic R-Sys wheels with custom finish (black, red nipples) for Cdale. Yes, Mavic knows about the detonating R-Sys wheels, they traced it to a clip that attaches the spokes to the hubs, they have resolved the issue. Heard this from the LBS head mechanic and the Cdale rep."

If they have resolved it, and are putting (I'm sure) the corrected wheels on the new bikes coming out, why am I still sitting here with no wheels and MY SuperSix up on blocks?

This sucks!

Dustman

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Aksium replacement wheels

Yes, I got them, and they are a far cry from the $1500 wheels I paid for. They're clunky, heavier, etc. I ended up putting my SuperSix away until I get the Mavic wheel back, and am currently riding my CAAD 8 with the Kysrium SLs, but when you pay over $6000 for a bike, wait months for them to build it, do about every upgrade possible, and then end up riding on $200 wheels, it kind of takes the wind out of your sails.

I didn't buy my bike at Walmart, and I don't want Walmart grade wheels on it. Sounds kind of snobby, I don't mean to be, but hey, come on, I paid through the nose for what I wanted, and I didn't get it.

Dustman

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
Better watch what you say. The wheel police are in full force.

They will tell you what junk you bought and how you would be better of with..............OP/Ulegra/DT, of course.

Enjoy them and I hope you get them back soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LOL

I just wish Mavic was offering a refund, I'd jump on it in a heartbeat. Of course, then I'd have to start all over trying to navigate the minefield looking for really good wheels.

Dustman

·
Registered
71 Posts
I just talked to Mavic, and they are shipping the first batch out (to those who sent back wheels late Jan/early Feb) next week. So if you were quick on the recall, you should see them very soon.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello, Pbird74,

That's great news! I think I was right up there on the recall, so they should be getting to me soon. I just had word from my LBS it was going to be May, I wasn't too happy to hear that, so you have definitely made my day!

Thanks again,

Dustman

·
Registered
15 Posts
parker3375 said:
Did you not get the free set of Aksium's they sent out to all people that were having to warranty their wheels to ride on?
I *still* haven't even received my Aksium replacements. When did you guys receive these?

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Received my R-System replacement wheel yesterday!

Hi, CRW,

Your LBS should have given you the new Aksiums right away when you returned your R-System front wheel in on the recall. Mavic was providing the bike shops with the wheels for their customers, a full set, front and back, for your troubles, and so you would have something to ride while you waited on the replacement R-System wheel. If you didn't get yours, I would definitely squawk!

I got my R-System replacement front wheel yesterday! YAY!!

Dustman

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I forgot to mention, myLBS also said the warranty on the front wheel starts over again from the date you receive the new wheel.

I'd put a pic on here of the new wheel, but I don't see a way to do it.

Dustman

·
Registered
245 Posts
I'd be interested to know if they'd redesigned the spoke retention collar that keeps the spoke heads under pressure (the red metal ring)....... mine would loosen every so often making the spokes loosen although it doesn't seem to affect the trueness, in any case a couple of whacks with a plastic faced mallet would sort it out but it is a tad annoying....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I'm not sure this will work, but I took a pic of the new design. Hope it gets on here where it can be seen.

I didn't really notice the original design that much (I was too busy riding after waiting so long for my special order bike) but other than the pawls slipping after the 2nd week, I didn't notice anything else wrong. Then they called me about the recall, and I turned the wheel in. It seems like I have been waiting forever for the replacement wheel.

Anyway, hope the pic comes through.

Dustman

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Dang! I'm surprised that worked! Here's one more pic of a different spoke. It has 3 hash marks. I pointed at them with a red arrow. I don't see a red ring.

Dustman

·
Registered
245 Posts
The red compression ring is inside the hub, under the bearing cover.... Mavic supply a plastic tool to use for removing it/re installing it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I was just told that you have to have the original receipt when returning them . For those of you that returned them , did you have to produce it??

·
Registered
245 Posts
Nope, I bought mine in Europe when they first came out, subesequently moved to DC and took them into a store here...... no questions asked (mind you I haven't got the replacement back yet!)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
They didn't ask me to produce the receipt, but I still have it, and my LBS already knew I ordered my SuperSix from them, and upgraded the wheels to the R-System through them when I ordered it, so they knew all about it anyway.

Dustman

·
Registered
97 Posts
medicalman said:
I was just told that you have to have the original receipt when returning them . For those of you that returned them , did you have to produce it??
A receipt should never be required for a safety recall. Despite that, the local shop I took the wheel to asked for it. I said I didn't have it (testing them). After telling them I didn't have it, they accepted my wheel. The recall notice did not require a receipt be presented.

I sent in my wheel back when the recall was first announced, then I got the replacement Aksium wheels in a couple weeks. Today I picked up my new R-SYS wheel. I can't see what the difference is, but the spokes do look slightly different from what I remember...but my memory isn't always so good.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts