Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need a new phone, mine is beat. None of Verizon's phones appeal to me including the B Bold and the Storm just seems really slow and cheap

I would like an i-phone if I' going to go that route but buying a hacked version doesn't appeal to my wallet especially since there is no warranty

any ideas or experience? I have found phones to be like computers, replaced fairly frequently and subject to error regularly
 

·
Adorable Furry Hombre
Joined
·
30,946 Posts
Last I knew iPhone don't work on Verizon. You need a GSM carrier.
 

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
Joined
·
9,416 Posts
Room 1201 said:
Last I knew iPhone don't work on Verizon. You need a GSM carrier.
And you have to jailbreak your phone. But to GET the phone, you have to sign up with AT&T anyway, so it's kind of pointless to resist if the iPhone is what you want.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
7,071 Posts
CARBON110 said:
I need a new phone, mine is beat. None of Verizon's phones appeal to me including the B Bold and the Storm just seems really slow and cheap

I would like an i-phone if I' going to go that route but buying a hacked version doesn't appeal to my wallet especially since there is no warranty

any ideas or experience? I have found phones to be like computers, replaced fairly frequently and subject to error regularly
You could just switch to ATT... supposedly their customer service isn't as good as verizon's, but that's like saying it's less painful to be eaten by a bear than by 1000 piranhas...
 

·
More cowbell!
Joined
·
2,527 Posts
As I understand it, there are two communication formats within the world of cell phones, CDMA and GSM. They are not compatible with each other. Verizon uses CDMA, and pretty much everyone else uses GSM. The Iphone is built with a GSM compatible chip and is only sold through AT&T.

I'm addicted to my Iphone......when my wife lets it out of her hands.
 

·
n00bsauce
Joined
·
13,507 Posts
Most carriers worldwide use GSM but in the good ol us it's only AT&T and T-mobile. Everyone else uses CDMA. Probably 80% of all worldwide subscribers are GSM but Verizon is the largest in the US and they are CDMA. Depending on whether we're talking 2G or 3G there are other standards but the 3G systems are generally offshoots of their 2G brothers. Sprint is also CDMA.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,934 Posts

·
Bikespace member
Joined
·
4,445 Posts
Henry Porter said:
What is the new iPhone you speak of? When does it come out?
yeah, i'ld like to know a little more about this too. what's special about it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,762 Posts
I too have Verizon and want an iphone. AT%T is the sux here and I will not change.
I have had Verizon for 12 years or so. I wonder if apple will release a phone for us in the future. Seems they would when the contract runs out with AT&T.
Soon I hope as I need a new phone as well.
 

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
Joined
·
9,416 Posts
pigpen said:
I too have Verizon and want an iphone. AT%T is the sux here and I will not change.
I have had Verizon for 12 years or so. I wonder if apple will release a phone for us in the future. Seems they would when the contract runs out with AT&T.
Soon I hope as I need a new phone as well.
I think a CDMA iPhone is extremely unlikely. GSM is the world standard these days, and they're selling plenty of them without going to CDMA, so why would they bother?
 

·
Just Plain Bitter
Joined
·
8,602 Posts
Exclusivity is good for a full 2 years from the original release I believe. It was one of the longest exclusivity contracts in the business when it was done. AT&T actually shouldered a good chunk of the DEV costs on the iPhone with Apple hence the long contract. The new iPhone of which you speak is just the 3.0 software version due out in spring. There is a rumor of a 32gb phone and then they will push the 8Gb to $99.00 to be sold at WalMart. those are the rumors anyway, nothing said here is substantiated in any way other than release of the 3.0 software. Please let it contain Cut and paste and MMS!
 

·
n00bsauce
Joined
·
13,507 Posts
To sell plenty more. Apple likes to sell things. But, I agree, they won't.
 

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
Joined
·
9,416 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
To sell plenty more. Apple likes to sell things. But, I agree, they won't.
They like to sell things, but I think they'd also prefer to have a single standard, and if not going CDMA helps put CDMA out of business and GSM on top even more...
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
They like to sell things, but I think they'd also prefer to have a single standard, and if not going CDMA helps put CDMA out of business and GSM on top even more...
I like GSM, but I can get Verizon for a ton cheaper than any of the others (work concessions). Seems to work fine so far. Had T-Mobile previously.
 

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
Joined
·
9,416 Posts
Bocephus Jones II said:
I like GSM, but I can get Verizon for a ton cheaper than any of the others (work concessions). Seems to work fine so far. Had T-Mobile previously.
Far as I know, CDMA is fine. I had to go with GSM years ago because I wanted a phone that would work in Ireland, and now I have an iPhone, so still on GSM.

For my money, if you don't want a specific phone and don't care about using it abroad (and most people don't, I bet), then it really doesn't matter what carrier you have as long as you have good coverage where you're going to be the most.
 

·
Moderatus Puisne
Joined
·
15,886 Posts
Cdma

works fine, but, no, no verizon iphones.

I made the switch to get the iphone, I am glad I did, but it is not as good PHONE service as with Verizon.
 

·
Bikespace member
Joined
·
4,445 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
then it really doesn't matter what carrier you have as long as you have good coverage where you're going to be the most.
+1. for the longest time ATT was the only carrier in half of the county i work in. that was the biggest part to choosing them. as for CS, i haven't really had to use it. the couple times i've wanted to check things out, i just go to their store in the mall and it gets sorted pretty quickly.
 
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
Top