Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm pondering relocating to Washington state, I lived there in the early 80's. I've been looking at the tax aspects of the state and trying to ascertain if there are annual limits to property tax reassessments similar to California. In other words if there is a big jump in property value are you going to see a big jump in your property tax bill? Thanks in advance for any insight.

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
Here is a link that *may* answer your question
MRSC - Property Tax in Washington State

Property tax rates vary from county to county.

Washington state is broken up into two areas. The Metropolitan Seattle area (King, Snohomish and Pierce Counties), which is *very* blue (see "San Francisco"), and the rest of the state, which is mostly red (and very much the minority).

County assessors determine tax rate changes every year on Nov 30th. I'm not clear on the answer to your question about limits on variances, but hopefully that link should answer.

Edit to add:
Maybe this paragraph answers your question?

Levy Increase Limit

In addition to the limit on the overall levy rate, there is a 1% limit on the amount an individual taxing district can increase the property tax levy, or the total amount of taxes that will be collected in a given year.
In Washington, property tax increases are not based on the increasing value of properties. They are based on last year’s property tax levy, which is simply the amount of the property taxes that were assessed in the prior year. Each year’s levy may be increased by no more than 1%, unless the public votes for a greater increase or the jurisdiction uses banked capacity. Consult the Washington State Department of Revenue's Resolution/Ordinance Procedures for Increasing Property Tax Revenue for the proper procedures for increasing the property tax levy.

·
Roll Out Jeremy
1,785 Posts
Seattle and surrounding areas are also about the hottest real estate market in the country. Bidding wars are standard practice with houses selling for 10-20% over asking prices....

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Paralizer,

If you locate in Seattle you can expect taxes to rise faster because assessed values are increasing so rapidly. As Fordy posted, Seattle is an extremely hot real estate market. However, if you're contemplating locating to Seattle, you should probably have your head examined. Seattle area traffic is among the worst in the country, and it's going to get worse, not better. The cost of living is significantly higher than elsewhere in the state, the school system continues to decline - there is little to recommend it IMO. The Puget Sound region is otherwise a wonderful place to live, and as a south sound resident, I try to always plan my travel to north sound areas in the very early morning or late night hours as my personal way of coping with the broken transportation system. If you're considering locating to most any other area in WA state, property taxes are a ways down the problem list.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts