Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
General newbie question, but do all white bar tapes get dirty and/or dingy fast or are any known to have somewhat more stain resistance? Anybody have particular good luck with one brand?

Kinda want to do mine white, but depends on how much maintenance is needed. I don't mind cleaning with soapy water every now and then...just don't want it looking ragged and dingy quickly.

·
Hucken The Fard Up !
3,983 Posts
Bike Ribbon Profesional Vinyl

it is easier to wash

·
Registered
3,749 Posts
Fizik...however it will show wear marks. I had some white Fizik tape I swapped back and forth between two bikes. I ran it through my washing machine twice (hang dry). It lasted about two years. Now I'm back to black tape and black saddles. I was harder for me to keep my white saddle clean then the white bar tape.

·
Registered
391 Posts
+1 for White Fizik.

I threw some on my tt bike, and it's stayed white. Plus it's pretty easy to clean too. I've also got Forte bar tape on another bike. It's not too bad, and it's easy enough to clean, which I do about every three months.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Ok, at least some options...thanks for the replies :thumbsup:

With some internet research, I just read some reviews that said the Fizik White Smooth tape stays white, whereas the Fizik White Soft-Touch tape gets dirty faster....can you confirm that, Dinosaur or tuffguy1500 ??

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
It seems to me that any smooth, untextured tape would be easier to clean & keep bright. Is this wrong?

·
So. Calif.
2,800 Posts
Fizik Microtex is very dirt & stain resistant.

Has 2 minor downsides:

- very thin, not much cushioning, but not a big deal with decent gloves.

-- not very stretchy, so it requires extra effort for a good looking tape job.

·
Los Barriles, BCS, Mexico
1,454 Posts
This is my second season using white the HandleBra leather bar tap, Hurricane (waterproof) model and well over 2,000 miles. It cleans up very easily, wipes off with a damp cloth and I treat it occasionally with 303.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I've tried Deda and Stella Azzurra and both were good at resisting stains. But I currently use Arundel Gecko - it stains pretty easily but feels great; worth the trade off (for me).

·
Registered
922 Posts
I am a fan of Cinelli Gel tape. I have only run black until a bit under a month ago when I put on white. So far it is dirt free, with only about 300 miles on it though....but it sure looks and feels GREAT! Also has a bunch of extra tape on each roll.

·
Registered
284 Posts
Hey! Grungy handlebar tape shows that you are more into riding than into lookin' good at the local coffee shop! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
DaveT said:
This is my second season using white the HandleBra leather bar tap, Hurricane (waterproof) model and well over 2,000 miles. It cleans up very easily, wipes off with a damp cloth and I treat it occasionally with 303.

That looks sweet! But $75-99 :eek: .....I"ve never wrapped before, so I don't think I want to go that high just to screw it up :D

·
Registered
357 Posts
Amfoto1 said:
Hey! Grungy handlebar tape shows that you are more into riding than into lookin' good at the local coffee shop! :thumbsup:
Well said! "Hey that guy just dropped my ass, but at least my tape is cleaner" :D

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
zender said:
Well said! "Hey that guy just dropped my ass, but at least my tape is cleaner" :D

96% of guys could drop MY ass....might as well be remembered for something as they go by. At least they won't think I ride a lot and am STILL crappy :p

·
weird huh?
304 Posts
Just a general warning......Bennotto Cello has contributed to more than a few crashes over the last 30 years.

Wet, or oily (suntan lotion, etc) it is stupid slippery.

Cheers!

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I went with the Fizik Microtex Chalk White tape...ended up just taping over the older Fizik dual-colored tape, which was in good shape. Thanks for all the replies and info! More pics are in my post in "Beginner's Corner".

1 - 20 of 26 Posts