Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Non non normal
10,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was given a carving knife and a how to carving book for a gift. Any wood carvers in the house? I am clueless.

·
What the what???
12,534 Posts
Step 1: Count how many fingers you currently have... You'll need this as a reference later...

·
half-fast
7,377 Posts
I am a sometimes carver

1. Sharp blade
2. Cut away from you
3. Except when it makes sense.
4. It never makes sense to cut towards you

Do you have a vise or something to hold the wood?

Do you have a sharpening stone?

Do you have appropriate wood?

I would trade a piece of wood for a small jug of honey.

·
wots...uh the deal?
1,258 Posts
I started some woodworking stuff years ago. Ended up, I enjoyed carving walking sticks the best. Don't need much for tools and investments etc. A knife, learn to sharpen, keep it sharp etc.

I'd say to start simple. Maybe check some walking stick websites, find some saplings, cut to length, wax the ends, let dry for a while and then skin and carve some simple things. Patterns, lines, spirals etc are easy. I always liked scaling (like a lizard scale) If you get some decent sticks, give away to family/friends, they do make great gifts. I have some friends that hunt mushrooms and really appreciated their stick (with a morrel like top). I never got "good" at carving where you can carve faces or things. But it was a fun challenge to learn some things, some different wood types etc. Surprising, the hardest part was learning sharpening.

If you are really paranoid about sharps (healthy respect is always a good idea. I'm paranoid about working with electricity!) there are gloves that are cut proof for $12 or so.

Wife made me an apron that was wide enough I can sit in the living room watching tv with the family and carve. When I get up, I can wrap the apron up and no chips fall out. Go outside and shake it out. Helped pass the time when the kids were young and watched shows that I could not stand (over and over) and keeps the hands busy.

·
Non non normal
10,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I am a sometimes carver

1. Sharp blade
2. Cut away from you
3. Except when it makes sense.
4. It never makes sense to cut towards you

Do you have a vise or something to hold the wood?

Do you have a sharpening stone?

Do you have appropriate wood?

I would trade a piece of wood for a small jug of honey.
What wood do you use? Basswood? White Pine?

·
Registered
663 Posts
Less a carver than general woodworker, but did grow up with a woodcarver for a father. Basswood, pine are both nice to work with, cherry, walnut, and mahogany can be as well, particularly with straighter grained stuff. Key to it is the ability to sharpen, keep tools sharp, and being able to repeat that.

It has been said that to carve something is simple. All you need to do is remove the wood that is not that something. Reality is quite different. Most of my "carving" is more joinery such as Dovetails, mortises, and paring. Have fun, it is a interesting hobby.

·
Frog Whisperer
40,826 Posts
hmmmmm cherry....ok, get cherry, smoke chicken, carve chicken!

·
Non non normal
10,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hmmmmm cherry....ok, get cherry, smoke chicken, carve chicken!
If I am smoking chicken around these parts it will be be with apple pear or oak.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts