Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Something in addition to the "green hand"

Argentius said:
everyone else seems to say it was one of those big green foam "PMU" hands...
When I look at the video in slomo you can see the green hand hit him on the bicep area but it looks like something more substantial hits him on the helmet. It's hard to see and blurry but it looks like another spectator's real hand is higher up and make's contact with his helmet and that makes his head flinch and duck a little bit.
He drove on hard and as he crossed the line he looks down and sees the cut on his arm, it was apparent I think that the injury was not going to put him in peril of abandoning. Did he really crash or just dismount to catch his breath? Phil Leggett made it sound as though Thor's arm had been amputated and his Tour was over. A bit melodramatic on Phil's part. I'm glad Thor's okay. This is going to be an exciting Tour and it appears as if the fireworks have already begun.

·
Call me a Fred
17,025 Posts
I heard that Thor flew to Spain for an emergency blood transfusion. It seems lots of cyclists bank their blood there for that purpose.

·
No Crybabies
11,692 Posts
idiot fans

AJL said:
Just wondering how he made out.
Thx.
I can't believe stupid fans sometimes. Maybe they should have a setback from the barriers near the finish.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
gotmilk? said:
When I look at the video in slomo you can see the green hand hit him on the bicep area but it looks like something more substantial hits him on the helmet. It's hard to see and blurry but it looks like another spectator's real hand is higher up and make's contact with his helmet and that makes his head flinch and duck a little bit.
He drove on hard and as he crossed the line he looks down and sees the cut on his arm, it was apparent I think that the injury was not going to put him in peril of abandoning. Did he really crash or just dismount to catch his breath? Phil Leggett made it sound as though Thor's arm had been amputated and his Tour was over. A bit melodramatic on Phil's part. I'm glad Thor's okay. This is going to be an exciting Tour and it appears as if the fireworks have already begun.
The guy with the blue/white sleeve hit Thor on the shoulder and I see his hand bouncing off of Thor's shoulder which caused Thor to bob down.

http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?p=680379#poststop

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,673 Posts
Those foam hands are actually cardboard. Pretty stiff at that. There's one in the window of the LBS here. When I first got into cycling I thought it an oddity... now that I'm into cycling, I know it's an oddity. I certainly wouldn't want to brush by it at 30MPH though. I've gotten cut by stiff cardboard just walking by it, I can't imagine it hitting me faster.

The unkindest cut of all...

·
Registered
656 Posts
curse of the surprise yellow jersey?

last year, dave z. crashed badly while wearing a yellow jersey that nobody expected. this year, thor ends up bleeding all over the street while wearing a yellow jersey that nobody expected. hmmm.....

....yes, there's a conspiracy here somewhere.

·
Registered
8,116 Posts
Yes-- I think it was a giant paper cut.

Chris H said:
Those foam hands are actually cardboard. Pretty stiff at that. There's one in the window of the LBS here. When I first got into cycling I thought it an oddity... now that I'm into cycling, I know it's an oddity. I certainly wouldn't want to brush by it at 30MPH though. I've gotten cut by stiff cardboard just walking by it, I can't imagine it hitting me faster.

The unkindest cut of all...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.