1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts

·
Gruntled
3,737 Posts
vonteity said:
I don't get it, I must be one of the youngin's.
Oh, f'gawdsakes. Here's the description of the fork: "There's no steerer tube to install a stem and handle bars. There must be an older design for this where the stem inserts down into the head tube somehow."

Now excuse me. I'm going to go listen to some "CDs" that I "bought" at a "record store".

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
That Vitus is aluminum. If someone tries to spread the rear triangle, they could have problems. (it won't take a set)
As for the quill stem confusion, all I can say is that some people are morons.

·
Low rep power
6,264 Posts
I worked with a mid-20-year-old woman at my last job (10 yrs ago). A couple of us dinosaurs were talking about music on vinyl, and comparing our collections of 45s (yep- as if vinyl wasn't bad enough).

The woman says, "what? You mean those little records like my Mom has?"

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
MR_GRUMPY said:
That Vitus is aluminum. If someone tries to spread the rear triangle, they could have problems. (it won't take a set)
As for the quill stem confusion, all I can say is that some people are morons.
I thought the rear triangle on those was steel. Only the main tubes were aluminum. I thought.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Jim Nazium said:
Oh, f'gawdsakes. Here's the description of the fork: "There's no steerer tube to install a stem and handle bars. There must be an older design for this where the stem inserts down into the head tube somehow."

Now excuse me. I'm going to go listen to some "CDs" that I "bought" at a "record store".
I saw it. I still don't understand. I ride bikes, I don't work on them.

·
Banned
6,360 Posts
If anybody buys it, I have a box of stems for it

Were they standard (22.2 mm) or French (22.0)? I've got both.
I keep a beater at work, an old Trek tourer with just the big ring and a five-speed freewheel w/friction barcon. The other day somebody borrowed it, and in about a minute he came back and said the "shifter thing" was broken.
It didn't click, and he couldn't figure out how to make it go into a gear.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
vonteity said:
I saw it. I still don't understand. I ride bikes, I don't work on them.
Current style of most steer tubes and stems - is a long steer tube that comes up above head tube and the stem clamps around it, like in the first picture below.

The style that many of us "old" guys grew up with, and according to the eBay ad it must be a really old technology, had a stem that inserted into the threaded steer tube like in the second picture below - those tubes did not rise above the head tube.

It's the wording of it - "There's no steerer tube to install a stem and handle bars. There must be an older design for this where the stem inserts down into the head tube somehow." - A whole bunch of us on this board must be really ancient.

·
GIMME MY BIKE!
7,786 Posts
Yep, must be. I've never owned a bike like that. :)

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,427 Posts
It was.
They also had a model with thin carbon stays.
It also had a weird way of clamping the seatpost.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.