Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new Easton 1" EC90SL fork and the "beartrap" headset adjuster scares me after looking at it. I have used (and still own) a Time Microset which works on the same principle, but the Easton design is just plain crude. It is caveman era engineering compared to the Microset. In trying to decide how to proceed, I can 1.) use the beartrap, 2.) use the microset (my current plan), 3.) use a plug (like the Problem Solver model), or 4.) tension it up with a plug, tighten, and remove and ditch the plug altogether

What would you do ?

·
Does it matter?
751 Posts
I'd use a plug. Haven't tried the "beartrap or microset" type. The scew on there looks pretty small, looks like it would be easy to strip something there, but that is just my speculation. Although I did strip a Reynolds plug once, but that plug must've been faulty :).
I'm currently using a "Weyless" brand plug on my aluminum steerer fork.

Why remove the plug after set up? Weight savings?

·
Registered
484 Posts
If you have a carbon steerer tube you will probably have problems keeping the headset bearings tight if you remove the plug and top cap.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've done it on the very fork you have.I had to file down the ouzo pro plug I had as it was to big to fit into the easton fork.I also had to use a stack of spacer's to get the top cap to load the bearings.After adjusted and stem tightened I took the plug out and have had no problems

1 - 4 of 4 Posts