Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
good son , bad man
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have set of '08 Time RSX carbon pedals. The right side bearing is rough. I've always been able to service my former Time Impact pedals but these seem a bit trickier. Looks like they require a special tool to fit the notches on the bearing casing. I can't tell which direction the right pedal body is threaded into the metal casing.

Ay thoughts would be appreciated.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
I had asked this question a while ago and apparently they are not serviceable. If you manage to do it let me know.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Wouldn't an '08 pedal still be under warranty? Let Time take care of the problem. A special spanner is needed (fits in the little indents in the ring close to where the axel enters the pedal body) to get at the bearings, but then I don't know what else.

·
Matnlely Dregaend
4,933 Posts
Ok so I looked into this some more as one of my Ulteam pedals is clicking... If I don't get the answer I like from Time USA I may have to try servicing the pedal myself.

It appears that the endcap is removable with a special wrench, and then you can reseal it with "black" 480 type loctite. I have no problem finding the loctite but I'm striking out on the wrench. Does anyone know where I can find one? It seems to be a fairly unique wrench, it isn't any type of torx I've seen.

I did find this page with disassembled pics of the right pedal. After looking at it closely I believe the right cap is left hand threaded. I still need to find out whether the left side cap is right or left hand threaded, my guess would be right hand.

http://www.rouesartisanales.com/article-1158309.html

·
good son , bad man
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Since the pedals are brand new / never mounted, I sent them back to Excel Sports for exchange.

I did however, call TimeSportUSA and talked to a guy. He said they used to supply all of the Time authorized bike shops with the tool that fits in those slots to service the innards of the pedal but that no longer is the case. So some of those shops may still have the tool.

He said one side is left hand threaded but wasn't sure which side. The guy was very curtious and said they can fix most any problem, warranty or not, at their Minnesota location and have a 24 hr. turnaround on repairs.

·
Registered
919 Posts
I don't know if this is true for all warranty repairs, but Time had really quick turn-around when they had a recall to fix the potential loosening of that cap (ironic, no?). Sent them 2 pairs (separately) and they came back within days.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts