len

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Len J said:
what do you look for?

Thanks

len
I think one of the big things are to look for lesions or moles which change. A mole by itself may be nothing, but if it's changed in color or size, it should be biopsied.

I think there are other characteristics to look for, such as asymmetry in a mole, but I don't know much more than that.

·
Scary Teddy Bear
14,791 Posts
Ummm

Len J said:
what do you look for?

Thanks

len

What are you curious about?

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,416 Posts
I can tell you what I saw in the three people I know who've had (minor, thankfully) brushes with it.

Sometimes it manifests as a sore that looks a bit like a particularly nasty zit that won't go away, nor does it "come to a head" per se. My dad (and Ronald Reagan!) had one of these on his nose MANY years ago. The doctors removed it and he's been fine ever since

One guy had what looked like a bad rash on his cheek--it could almost have passed for rosacea. Unfortunately, he quit working as a courier when he got his diagnosis (to stop being out in the sun all day every day) so I lost track of him and don't know what was done to treat it.

The last one was a guy who started growing a number of what appeared to be small, flat warts or colorless moles on his forearms. The doctor characterized these as "pre-cancerous" growths, and removed them, but warned him to keep a very careful watch on the removal sites for anything that looked like infection, since that could be proper skin cancer.

In all these cases, the central feature was major sun exposure. My dad's a lifelong sailor, and the other two were professional couriers who had spent years with their arms and faces exposed to the sun, wind, etc. all day long every day.

Easy to imagine this could be an issue for serious recreational cyclists. I know I do too little to protect my own skin from the sun when I ride, as I don't sunburn easily so I don't feel like slathering that crap on. Smart, huh?

·
Registered
39 Posts
If you are fair skinned and have been repeatedly sunburned, you can expect to have pre-cancerous lesions and worse cut or burned off with liquid nitrogen from about aged forty every 6 to 12 months for the rest of your life. If you have this done regularly, you will most likely suffer no further ill effects. I had a squamous cell carcinoma excised and have about 5 to 10 actinic keratosis (es?) burned every year. No biggie.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
bikeboy389 said:
Easy to imagine this could be an issue for serious recreational cyclists. I know I do too little to protect my own skin from the sun when I ride, as I don't sunburn easily so I don't feel like slathering that crap on. Smart, huh?
I burn crazy mad style. I put SPF 50 all over the tops of my arms and the back of my neck and even my knees in the summer. I even have SPF 30 chapstick. I smell like I'm going to the beach, but it's better than the alternative.

I've already been burned real bad a few times, so I don't take chances any more. I don't even own a sleeveless jersey.

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
A good dermatologist, and quick.

Len J said:
what do you look for?

Thanks

len
I see one every year. Nothing like being a fair skinned kid growing up in the tropics to come back and haunt you 40 years later......

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
MB1 said:
I see one every year. Nothing like being a fair skinned kid growing up in the tropics to come back and haunt you 40 years later......
How has it haunted you?

I'm a real ******. I mean Casper white. I've had sunburns like every kid, but twice I was burned really bad on my shoulders (blisters and everything). I always worry about the consequences of this down the line...

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,405 Posts
Damn, you beat me by a minute.

·
I'm not like anyone else
1,796 Posts
Len J said:
what do you look for?

Thanks

len
Hey Len,

There is a lot of information available out there about the different types, what they look like and the various treatments. I Googled, "skin cancer" and got too much feedback to post. Since I was a sun kid in my youth, I have regular checkup and keep and eye on everything that looks "different".

Good luck and I hope this is helpful!

EDB

·
Premium Member
21,910 Posts
Scotty2Hotty said:
How has it haunted you?

I'm a real ******. I mean Casper white. I've had sunburns like every kid, but twice I was burned really bad on my shoulders (blisters and everything). I always worry about the consequences of this down the line...
A full body inspection every year, bits being cut off and/or frozen, long sleeves and hats on the warmest days of the year and SPF50 all the time. Can't just go outdoors without thinking anymore.

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks All.....

physasst said:
What are you curious about?
I've got a small mole type blemish that I've been watching......all of a sudden (last week or so...it's gotten bigger and it's gotten itchy........

One of my best friends is an MD....I'll be with him on Friday evening & show him and get his opinion.

Thanks for the feedback, my instinctis were that I should have this checked.

Len

·
gazing from the shadows
27,209 Posts
Len J said:

Yes, have it checked. Caught early it is relatively minor in almost all cases. Let go and it is deadly. Remember, your skin is your largest organ.

·
wut?
14,590 Posts
Len J said:
I've got a small mole type blemish that I've been watching......all of a sudden (last week or so...it's gotten bigger and it's gotten itchy........

One of my best friends is an MD....I'll be with him on Friday evening & show him and get his opinion.

Len
I wouldn't wait, just go get it biopsied. If your friend says it's nothing, I'd still get it biopsied, but that's me.

·
Misfit Toy
23,426 Posts
Hi Len,

My pre-cancerous spots were just little red splotches on my face. Get yer mole checked now mister. :cool:

·
imbasilical moreon
1,873 Posts
my sisters are dealing with this......

Len J said:
what do you look for?
One is in a program at Johns Hopkins, the other at Univ of Penn.
Me, I get my regular Liquid Nitro treatments, and so far so good.....

go here for info about melanoma

Be careful with your initial workup, choose the right dermatologist. Many are into "cosmetic" dermatology. find one with an interest in cancer prevention. Suggest you find the best programs in your area (comparable to johns Hopkins/ U Penn) and get physician reccomendations from them.........

G'Luk Len !!!

JJ

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
Go Len Go

there are multiple forms some not so bad, some fatal. most if caught early can be easily removed. ya don't wanna mess with melanoma.

·
Never DNF
181 Posts
Take no chances

Len J said:
what do you look for?

Thanks

len
Hi Len, I'm a Dr in New Zealand where with Australia we have the highest incidence of Melanoma in the world. 1 in 15 in NZ will develop melanoma in their lifetime, so it's a very big issue here.

There are 3 types of skin cancer from sun exposure -
1. Melanoma is the rarest, but the most deadly. They mostly start by spreading horizontally, then start to go deep. Survival is based purely in how deep they go microscopically, if the melanoma goes deeper than only 0.76mm your chances of survival go down - because it is such and aggressive tumour that will spread in your blood and stick anywhere the blood goes, and grow and spread from there, an so on... About 50% start from a change in a mole/freckle, the other 50% are new moles. Most melanomas are pigmented, but rarely there are some non-pigmented varieties. Risk factors are fair skin, lots of moles and sun exposure, especially bad sunburn before the age of 10years, anyone who had even one episode of blistering sunburn before age 10 should, in my opinion get at least an annual skin check with a medical professional.
2. Squamous cell carcinoma - these are often rough and scaly, often present as non-healing areas, people often attribute the wound to a knock they suffered, and it just doesn't seem to get better. Can spread and kill
3. Basal cell carcinoma - the most common and the least dangerous, usually look like a small elevated pink lesion, must be removed as they grow and can invade local structures.

Take absolutely no chances - any change in a mole or new lesion must be checked. Nearly every skin cancer mentioned above can be effectively controlled if removed early - the key is vigilance. Be especially rapid in getting assessment of any new pigmented lesion, or any pigmented lesion that has changed, time is of the essence, leave it 3 months and it may be 3 months too long.

If you've got a lesion you're not sure has changed, consider taking a digital picture of it, next to a ruler. Photograph it again in 1-2 weeks and look for a change. Keep doing the photos, and any change take the pics with you and get to a Dr/dermatologist. Anything you are worried about or just don't know about, do yourself a favour and don't worry about the pictures, just get it seen early.

I now wear only full length leggings and long sleeves/arm warmers whenevr I cycle. Am also experimenting with face/neck cover- a flap under the helmet. I had a suspicious mole removed in late January, and it was melanoma, I've had a second surgery and have a good prognosis, only because it was picked up early. I'm of Scottish/English ancestry, tan poorly but not a freckly redhead, and had one episode of blistering sunburn under the age of ten, but got burned every summer till late teenage years. My kids have never been sunburned, and I plan they never will be. Take no chances.

Hope this helps.
Brian

·
Palm trees & sunshine!
24,200 Posts
Doctors

Thread after thread I read here of various ailments. I'm convinced that if I make it to 60 it'll be a miracle.

I haven't had a physical since the physical I got for my life insurance policy over 3 years ago. I see a doctor maybe once a year and then only when most other people would go to the emergency room. By the time I realize I have something serious it'll be too late to do anything. Hell, I probably have 4 or 5 things already brewing. :(

I don't know WHY I'm like this, I have good insurance.

EDIT: Sorry Len, I meant to start a new thread. You should go to the doctor and get it checked.

·
Never DNF
181 Posts
KenB said:
Thread after thread I read here of various ailments. I'm convinced that if I make it to 60 it'll be a miracle.
You probably will easily blast past 60 Ken. Most people do.

I'm a Dr and have gone to the Dr less often than you have, in fact I didn't even have a Dr until my recent mole check. But I'm very glad I had my mole checked and removed, it was melanoma and it would've killed me if I'd left it.

Brian

1 - 20 of 20 Posts