Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apparently at least some Trek helmets failed to live up to the govt. standards. This at least calls into question that a cheap helmet is better than no helmet. I heard this second hand from someone who saw a local news report on the findings. Anyone got the actual article/info?

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Maybe, but when it comes to this specific type of testing I'll take their word for it. Many times I'll question their subjective analysis as I don't share their old time Volvo view of the world but they do very thorough scientific testing and I believe them. I haven't seen the report. I'll wait to see what shows up in the mag when it comes. They may have gone beyond the gov't tests, as they often do. Let's not judge either the mag or the helmets until the report is available.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Helmets.org is a good site. Visited them many times. CPSC testing is pretty watered down. Still doesn't address what you find wrong with Consumer Reports when it comes to testing products, particularly helmets. Is there something inherantly wrong with their methodology? They've tested them in the past, have you seen their tests? They take a pretty clinical approach. None of the passion but none of the hype.

·
Registered
2,403 Posts
Thread HiJack

Mel Erickson said:
Helmets.org is a good site. Visited them many times. CPSC testing is pretty watered down. Still doesn't address what you find wrong with Consumer Reports when it comes to testing products, particularly helmets. Is there something inherantly wrong with their methodology? They've tested them in the past, have you seen their tests? They take a pretty clinical approach. None of the passion but none of the hype.
Did you go to Iron C. I punted for the Iron M. Cold wet rainy century's are optional.

Scot

·
Registered
401 Posts
Mel Erickson said:
Is there something inherantly wrong with their methodology? They've tested them in the past, have you seen their tests? They take a pretty clinical approach. None of the passion but none of the hype.
I've simply never been impressed with their reviews on topics and products with which I'm familiar. This particular helmet test may have been one of their better ones, but I always take their test results with a grain of salt.

I think it's difficult for <i>any</i> one organization to be completely knowledgable on the vast number of products tested annually by CR. I am of the opinion that they can be very knowledgable about and accurately test <i>many</i> products, but I think it's unrealistic to consider them "experts" on each and every product they test.

In my opinion, in order for a test to be completely valid, it should be conducted by an organization that is completely knowledgeable on the testing procedures and on the product itself.

In the end, I think <i>marketing</i> departments give CR more credit than design/engineering departments.

·
Registered
640 Posts
WhiskeyNovember said:

Sorry but those are labs that perform tests for the helmet manufactures. They do not make their results public. So as I guessed, the answer is no, you don't know of any other independent parties that perform helmet tests and make them public.

Note according to the article about Consumer's helmet test that "Consumer Reports confirmed its test results for impact absorption with follow-up tests at an outside lab. Consumer Reports tests were performed at the standard set forth by the CPSC, which defines testing methodology and product standards for impact absorption and chin strap strength on bike helmets."

Consumer Reports may "suck" but the CPSC and Trek take them seriously enough to recall two of their models based on the Consumer's test.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
13,390 Posts
I've heard a lot of people trash-talk Consumer Reports, but I've never heard of anybody proving that their test results were wrong. They have been sued many times, sometimes by huge corporations, and they've never lost.

I don't share their "Volvo" point of view either, but I also have faith in their lab tests.

I say, if you think they're incompetent, or just plain wrong...put your money where your mouth is.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
No, I was drafted by my wife and father-in-law to help open up the cottage. Marital peace is worth more than a cold, rainy 100k bike ride in my book.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
That's why I said "old time" Volvo because of the staid image Volvos had.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Yes the University of Tennessee Sports Biomechanics Impact Research Laboratory. Do a search. I used to flip through boxes of broken helmets hoping they had missed one.

cdmc said:
Umm can you point to another independent party that has performed helmet testing in a repeatible scientific manner and published the results? I bet the answer is no.

·
Registered
640 Posts
FattyCBR said:
Yes the University of Tennessee Sports Biomechanics Impact Research Laboratory. Do a search. I used to flip through boxes of broken helmets hoping they had missed one.
Nope, not finding any public reports. They do testing, but it is for private companies. Can you provide a link where they have performed a comparision test of the safety of helmets that is available to the general public?

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Trek Anthem C Elite and Anthem C Elite WSD Model Recall

That's gotta hurt.

WASHINGTON, May 4 /PRNewswire/ -- The U.S. Consumer Product Safety
Commission, in cooperation with the firm named below, today announced a
voluntary recall of the following consumer product. Consumers should stop
using recalled products immediately unless otherwise instructed. (To access
color photos of the following recalled products, see CPSC's Web site at
http://www.cpsc.gov.)
(Logo: http://www.newscom.com/cgi-bin/prnh/20030904/USCSCLOGO )
Name of Product: Trek Anthem C Elite and Anthem C Elite WSD Model
Bicycle Helmets
Units: About 4,500
Manufacturer: Trek Bicycle, of Waterloo, Wis.
Hazard: Product testing has demonstrated that these helmets do not
comply with CPSC safety standards for impact resistance. Consumers could
suffer impact head injuries in a fall.
Incidents/Injuries: No incidents or injuries have been reported.
Description: The recalled helmets are identified by the model name
Anthem C Elite and Anthem C Elite WSD. A label inside the helmet identifies
the helmet as "Trek Anthem C." The helmets are available in men's sizes in
black/charcoal, blue/silver and blue/red, and in women's sizes in aqua
blue/silver and white/silver. This recall includes all sizes of this
helmet.
Sold by: Authorized Trek Dealers nationwide from October 2005 through
May 2006 for about $129.
Manufactured In: China
Remedy: Consumers should stop using the helmets immediately and return
their helmets to an authorized Trek dealer for a full refund
Consumer Contact: For more information, contact Trek Bicycle at (800)
373-4594 between 9 a.m. and 6 p.m. CT Monday through Friday.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.