Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I get flats w some regularity on my trainer bike. I have an old five speed frame with a 1980's Wolber rear wheel. I've checked everything, the rim, tires, etc. I have the mag trainer roller resting gently on the rear tire. Everything seems ok, yet flats have become a fact of life. Anybody have similar issues? Any help at all is really appreciated, I'm stumped.

·
Registered
3,934 Posts
almost 1800 miles this Winter and no flats here - I'm using a tube that is the next size up from my trainer tire though which was recommended on a thread here somewhere to prevent flats.

·
Registered
12,085 Posts
I've only had one flat on the rollers and I suspect that was simply due to the fact that it was a really old tube. Are you running reasonable tire pressure and contact with the wheel? I spend a lot of time with indoor riding and have only had one flat. If you continue to have flats, check the tire something inside and that you're not getting parts of the tube caught in the tire bead.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I used to get flats from the heat generated by the tire on the roller of the trainer. If I patched a tube, it would only last a few days before another hole would appear. New tubes were the only solution at the time. My current solution to the problem was to get a LeMond Revolution trainer. Now I don't have a rear tire to get flat any more.

·
Registered
441 Posts
Resting gently? No. The tire should be compressed and should not slip under torque.

Also mag trainers get so damn hot, I have one. I'm always rushing to get the barrel off of the tire immediately otherwise the heat will cause a flat in a hurry, or ruin your tire.

I've had good luck but I have a trainer wheel with shitty tires I don't trust on the road. No flats in a few years on a trainer.

·
Registered
752 Posts
I get flats w some regularity on my trainer bike. I have an old five speed frame with a 1980's Wolber rear wheel. I've checked everything, the rim, tires, etc. I have the mag trainer roller resting gently on the rear tire. Everything seems ok, yet flats have become a fact of life. Anybody have similar issues? Any help at all is really appreciated, I'm stumped.
Having logged almost 1500 trainer miles in 2013, I had been plagued with flats. Never got to the bottom of them I went so far as to purchase a new rear tire and cassette so that I could run a wider (700cX28) and tougher tire on it. This seemed to have cured the problem for the most part. I did have one other flat about 5 or so weeks back, but I think this was because I left the valve open after putting more air in one morning.

I hadn’t really considered the need to back the drum off after the ride; this would make a lot of sense. If the drum heated up and then remained in contact after the ride, it would potentially create a week spot. I will need to keep this in mind when I am back on the trainer if I don’t get a set of rollers this winter.

:)

EEC

·
Registered
335 Posts
I have ridden for 4 years or about 850 hours on my computrainer w/tacx trainer tire and never a problem. I put my PT wheel on w/GP 4seasons and rode 1.5 hours and had a flat the next morning. The GP 4seasons tire was really hot, I was smelling burning rubber quite strongly. I was quite surprised how hot it got as the trainer tire is not nearly as hot after longer rides

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.