Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Me and a buddy are going to do Solvang as an excuse to get out of the cold and eat at several of the 13 In & Out Burgers on our way to the CA coast. Cupid's Hot Dogs on the way back, also. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else is doing Solvang on Fixies this year.

Tired of the Salty Roads,
Mark

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
what gears are you using?

mghwk said:
Me and a buddy are going to do Solvang as an excuse to get out of the cold and eat at several of the 13 In & Out Burgers on our way to the CA coast. Cupid's Hot Dogs on the way back, also. Anyway, just wondering if anyone else is doing Solvang on Fixies this year.

Mark

·
Premium Member
11,955 Posts
I'm tempted...

I just did the Tour de Palm Springs a few weeks ago on the fixie, but I bailed at the 55 mi. turnout. That was a fairly flat route and Solvang has more hills, so I understand. I've never done a full century so it would be something to shoot for.

42:16

Jeff

mghwk said:

Mark

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
42/16

its only like 84,000 revolutions or some such number. Whats your thought, would you rather have the gear for the hills or spend your time spun out across the valleys? Should be an adventure anyway. Besides, I need to burn enough calories for the trip home. Maybe it would be prudent to take a 17 free just in case. Anyone have any thoughts on running a freewheel on a fixed hub? I'm assuming there should be no issues, just as long as the threading on the freewheel engages similarly to the fixed. Chainline is perfect with the fixed, and just a mm or so off on the FW.

DougSloan said:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Derailleurs are for wimps! LOL

I'll be at Solvang on my fixed gear. I'll be starting with a 48-16. Then I will "gear down" as needed. The progression will be 48-16, 42-16, 39-16, 39-17 free wheel, ambulance. :)

Now I just have to figure out how to fit 2 chain rings in my jersey pocket!

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
lower?

mghwk said:
its only like 84,000 revolutions or some such number. Whats your thought, would you rather have the gear for the hills or spend your time spun out across the valleys? Should be an adventure anyway. Besides, I need to burn enough calories for the trip home. Maybe it would be prudent to take a 17 free just in case. Anyone have any thoughts on running a freewheel on a fixed hub? I'm assuming there should be no issues, just as long as the threading on the freewheel engages similarly to the fixed. Chainline is perfect with the fixed, and just a mm or so off on the FW.
I'm presently using a 41x17, or 64 gear inches (105 rpms at 20 mph). I routinely do a 25 mile loop near my house that has a 1 mile 5-10% climb, but also with lots of flats and rollers. I average about 20-21 mph on the flats, so I'm spinning my butt off there. On the big climb, I'm down to about 8 mph, which is about 42 rpms. That's pretty strenuous, and much lower than that and I fear knee trouble (even if it is a great workout). I can average just over 18 mph for the loop, as I can't get my speed "back" on the descents, essentially limited to about 25 mph somewhat comfortably. That's about 95 rpms average for the loop. That's a lot of spinning. But for the big hill, I'd probably use a 42x16 or even taller.

Solvang has a few respectable hills. Most notably, around mile 80-85 there's a pretty steep, I'd say well over 10% hill that lasts about 1/2-1 mile, where I've seen people walking every time I've done it. It would be killer in a 42x16; you might be reduced to 25 rpms, traversing (tough with 5,000 riders out there), or walking, unless you are really light and powerful.

I normally gear for the toughest climb, then just learn to spin my butt off everywhere else. The more I do fixed, the more I think that is the solution -- train your body not so much to grind at 25 rpms up the climbs, but instead gear so that you get up the hills ok, but spin really fast everywhere else, sacrificing a bit on the descents.

Nonetheless, if everyone has similar gearing, it's no big deal on the flats or descents staying together, assuming everyone can spin.

I have a single speed freewheel, but have never used it, and likely never will. I like fixed, the idea, feel, and purity of it. Rather than singlespeed, I'd just use a normal bike and leave it in one gear.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts