Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
anybody have an atom 600 or 700 french pedal laying around? i think both these models are serviceable with removable dust caps.

i'm working on a '72 motobecane with atom 700 french pedals (with french threads). one of the pedal cones disintegrated. i need to replace the cone, so i just need a donor pedal cone, pedal, or a set of atom pedals. a japanese cone won't work.

my other option is to retap the stronglight crank arms to standard (9/16"x20), but the two taps will cost me over $30, and i'd lose the ability to use the original atom pedals.

i called a shop here in town that said they'd charge $40 to tap the arms. B^\

i don't want to use a threaded insert in the arms, although it would be much cheaper.

·
a real member's member
3,880 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i found a solution.

called recycled cycles here in seattle and asked if they could tap the crank threads to standard. they didn't have the tool (which is odd), but said they have some lyotard french pedals for $15. so i went down there to pick 'em up.

on getting home, i find the lyotards don't thread in. then i try them in a standard crank, and they thread. i look at the pedal axles, and they're labeled 'L' and 'R,' not 'D' and 'G.' so, yes the lyotards are french pedals, but these have standard axle threads.

then i wonder if the lyotard cones will fit my atom pedals...

and they did!

so now i have some working french atom pedals (joy!) and some standard lyotards that now need a cone.

love it when a plan comes together...

B^)

1 - 2 of 2 Posts