Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Shuffleman
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to build a 2nd road bike and want to go steel. I have the frame narrowed down but thought I would buy some parts used on ebay such as the wheels. I am amazed to find that I can buy the wheels new in the UK far cheaper than they are offered on ebay used.
As an example, this set of Campy Khamsins:
Campagnolo Khamsin G3 Road Wheelset Wheels Campy | eBay

Ad shipping and they are $220 for used ones. I can buy them new for $105.
This budget build is frustrating me as I thought that ebay would be a better resource. Does anybody have luck buying wheels there for a good price?

·
Neophyte
2,190 Posts
I've bought one set of new wheels on eBay for a more than fair price. One thing to look for is better than average OEM wheels that came off a new bike.

·
Registered
7,492 Posts
I gave up on eBay several years ago. It's not what it used to be. Don't buy used wheels. Just go to Ribble or Wiggle.

·
Registered
20,820 Posts
I am looking to build a 2nd road bike and want to go steel. I have the frame narrowed down but thought I would buy some parts used on ebay such as the wheels. I am amazed to find that I can buy the wheels new in the UK far cheaper than they are offered on ebay used.
I had the same problem. For the longest time I was searching for a second set of wheels for my cross bike. Everything used was only a few $$ less than what the same set cost new.
I eventually gave up and bought a set from Ribble. Better and cheaper than anything I could find used.

·
Shuffleman
678 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've bought one set of new wheels on eBay for a more than fair price. One thing to look for is better than average OEM wheels that came off a new bike.
This was what I was hoping to find for a fair price. I have not found anything there in weeks.
I gave up on eBay several years ago. It's not what it used to be. Don't buy used wheels. Just go to Ribble or Wiggle.
I was comparing the used prices on ebay to the new prices at Ribble, Merlin or PBK. It is incredible that used on ebay is more than new from those sources. I am not in a hurry as I just found out the frame that I want is out of stock in my size. I will keep watching CL and wait for something reasonable to pop up. If not, I will just buy a new set of Campy's from Ribble.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Yes and no. I bought a HED Jet Disc rear wheel for $300 shipped a couple of months ago with low miles since it was a race only wheel. Came with a racing tire/tube even (Specialized Turbo tire).

I also ended up buying a cheap trainer wheelset from Nashbar using one of their coupons to get a set of Vuelta wheels that are Shimano 11 speed compatible for $130 shipped. Couldn't find any other 11 speed cheapo wheelset used for even close to that.

I've also scored some pretty good components and other items on eBay for great prices building up a bike last fall and upgrading another one. But, they are not wheels/tires so I won't list what they are.

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
That's a super price on those Campy Khamsins. Unbelievable, in fact. It makes you wonder how a UK outfit can sell & ship for such a low price. Maybe Brexit is helping!

I think it's more the exception than the rule - to find new cheaper than used. For any components more than five years old, eBay often is the best choice. When you get to parts over ten years, eBay is generally the only game in town.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.