Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've bought some Avid road disc brakes to use on a tourer (I've been greatly impressed with the Avid mtbs so thought I'd give them a shot and got them cheap on ebay). I have a rear Bor Yeuh rack and a Blackburn rack, but can't get either of them to fit due to the disc brake location. Anybody run a rear disc with a rack and not have any problems? If so if you have the make and model of the rack I'd appreciate it if you could post. It would probably be easier to buy another rack than the only other solution I can think of at the moment -making a custom bracket to fit around the brake caliper.

thanks.

·
Registered
4,452 Posts
I have discs on my Ibex mtb with an Old Man Mountain Red Rock rack. The owner of OMM send me a simple spacer that moved the left strut out far enough to clear the caliper. But they have other disc-specific models that need no alterations.
It's possible their Sherpa model would fit your road bike. Email them and they'll find a solution.
http://www.oldmanmountain.com/faq.htm

·
Registered
405 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jesse! I looked at their website -looks like they have what I want.

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
A company called Axiom makes a pretty sturdy rack that is supposedly disk brake compatible. I recently put one on my commuter although it doesn't have disks. The left side lower mount is adjustable, presumably to give clearance for a brake caliper.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts