Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
corning my own beef
Joined
·
5,713 Posts
wow ... yeah, Dave does, and Marc? others, I'm sure.

scary, indeed.
 

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
MarkS's daughter is there...He posted on FB that she's OK.

Len
 

·
Honey Smack!
Joined
·
7,966 Posts
My sister-in-law works at UT...calling her now, thanks Len.

She just called me back, she was working today but she's fine.
 

·
Proud luddite
Joined
·
7,191 Posts
Glad to hear that no innocent people were harmed. Kinda makes you wonder what the gunman's motive was, if he didn't actually shoot anyone else when he fired.

Wasn't the UT campus the site of a horrific shooting spree back in the 50's or 60's? I recall hearing something about a sniper gunning people down from a clock tower or some sort of tower on campus.
 

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
azpeterb said:
Glad to hear that no innocent people were harmed. Kinda makes you wonder what the gunman's motive was, if he didn't actually shoot anyone else when he fired.

Wasn't the UT campus the site of a horrific shooting spree back in the 50's or 60's? I recall hearing something about a sniper gunning people down from a clock tower or some sort of tower on campus.
Yup...1966 sniper rifle from the top of the UT clocktower.

len
 

·
Shirtcocker
Joined
·
60,639 Posts
azpeterb said:
Glad to hear that no innocent people were harmed. Kinda makes you wonder what the gunman's motive was, if he didn't actually shoot anyone else when he fired.

Wasn't the UT campus the site of a horrific shooting spree back in the 50's or 60's? I recall hearing something about a sniper gunning people down from a clock tower or some sort of tower on campus.
Eyewitnesses say he was grinning like he was high as a kite on something.
 

·
Moderatus Puisne
Joined
·
15,883 Posts
Yikes. So glad no more people were hurt -- this stuff is sad all around.

Without getting too into politics, whenever I read this stuff, I think, what the heck is wrong with people? Why do they do this stuff?

Life should not need to be Counter-Strike...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,106 Posts
innergel said:
The gunman is dead. Self inflicted. Good riddance.


Let's hope the students aren't too traumatized and the univ gets them some help if they want it.
My daughter is a freshman at UT. She was in the Fine Arts building when the shooting occurred. The library, where the gunman killed himself, is across the street from her dorm.

My daughter was locked down in the Fine Arts building for about three hours. People were allowed to leave the building, but were not allowed to go on the central campus area. Eventually, my daughter was able to get into her dorm (Jester) after it had been cleared. Most campus buildings are closed right now and access to central campus is limited. Although the authorities have not said so definitively, it now appears that there was not a second gunman, which was feared this morning. When I last spoke with my daughter, about 30 minutes ago, she said that some people still are freaked out by what happened and others are taking advantage of the day off from classes to go out partying. She lives in a triple and has one roommate in each camp. My daughter seems to be OK and claims that she is in her dorm room studying. :)
 

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MarkS said:
My daughter is a freshman at UT. She was in the Fine Arts building when the shooting occurred. The library, where the gunman killed himself, is across the street from her dorm.

My daughter was locked down in the Fine Arts building for about three hours. People were allowed to leave the building, but were not allowed to go on the central campus area. Eventually, my daughter was able to get into her dorm (Jester) after it had been cleared. Most campus buildings are closed right now and access to central campus is limited. Although the authorities have not said so definitively, it now appears that there was not a second gunman, which was feared this morning. When I last spoke with my daughter, about 30 minutes ago, she said that some people still are freaked out by what happened and others are taking advantage of the day off from classes to go out partying. She lives in a triple and has one roommate in each camp. My daughter seems to be OK and claims that she is in her dorm room studying. :)
Awesome that she's OK.....Now how are you and your wife doing? :D

Len
 

·
Moderatus Puisne
Joined
·
15,883 Posts
Of all of this, second only to your daughter's safety, I appreciate the fact that you take her claims of studiousness with the appropriate grain of salt.

Then again, it is not Thursday...

MarkS said:
My daughter is a freshman at UT. She was in the Fine Arts building when the shooting occurred. The library, where the gunman killed himself, is across the street from her dorm.

My daughter was locked down in the Fine Arts building for about three hours. People were allowed to leave the building, but were not allowed to go on the central campus area. Eventually, my daughter was able to get into her dorm (Jester) after it had been cleared. Most campus buildings are closed right now and access to central campus is limited. Although the authorities have not said so definitively, it now appears that there was not a second gunman, which was feared this morning. When I last spoke with my daughter, about 30 minutes ago, she said that some people still are freaked out by what happened and others are taking advantage of the day off from classes to go out partying. She lives in a triple and has one roommate in each camp. My daughter seems to be OK and claims that she is in her dorm room studying. :)
 

·
Just Plain Bitter
Joined
·
8,602 Posts
Had a friend call me this morning from his dorm when they locked them down. They thought they were looking for a 2nd gun man for awhile. From the the folks I have talked to there it appears the University handled this very well. Kudos to the administration and the PD for handling this.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,106 Posts
Len J said:
Awesome that she's OK.....Now how are you and your wife doing? :D

Len
Given that there was a gunman who shot a doctor and then killed himself and his wife at Johns Hopkins Hospital two weeks ago, we have been through this already. My wife works as a fundraiser for Johns Hopkins, but her office is not on the medical campus. What we learned from the Johns Hopkins event, is that in the aftermath of the Virginia Tech killings, all large institutions have (or should have) plans to deal with situations like this. The response at Hopkins was incredible (in a good sense) and from what I have been able to ascertain today, it appears that UT was well-prepared, too.

So, it is not something that we take lightly. But, given how the University and the Austin authorities responded, I think that we are feeling OK right now.
 

·
Windrider (Stubborn)
Joined
·
22,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
MarkS said:
Given that there was a gunman who shot a doctor and then killed himself and his wife at Johns Hopkins Hospital two weeks ago, we have been through this already. My wife works as a fundraiser for Johns Hopkins, but her office is not on the medical campus. What we learned from the Johns Hopkins event, is that in the aftermath of the Virginia Tech killings, all large institutions have (or should have) plans to deal with situations like this. The response at Hopkins was incredible (in a good sense) and from what I have been able to ascertain today, it appears that UT was well-prepared, too.

So, it is not something that we take lightly. But, given how the University and the Austin authorities responded, I think that we are feeling OK right now.
Shame it had to be tested but nice to know the process worked.

Len
 
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Top