Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I want a new road bike ...shopping has become an obsession! I currently have '95 Klein MTB that was top of the line in it's time . I really like it and seldom take it off the pavement. I have ridden many of the upper end Specialized and Cannondale so-called "plush rides" w/the drop bars and although they're nice , my body misses the mountain bike's more uprite position. Of course I'm told I'd spend most of my time on the hoods on a traditional road bike but but am I missing something? I'm still not that comfortable on even those so called "comfort" rides. I know fitting is a huge component in the equation but in the test ride situation, you can only get just so close & I'd think that would be close enough for Government work.

Sure I could put skinny tires on my Klein but there is always the occassion I want to take it on a trail (and currently do). I don't want an interim bike, I want one to keep and it's not a price-dependent situation. I do solo 10-15 mile rides 3 X a week- some hills. I run and lift weights + ride to keep in shape and healthy...my goal is to stay that way. No racing, no posing, this is just for me. I want to buy another bike!

Anybody purchased a Specialized Sirrus LTD or something comparable? Of course in my road bike testing I've found that that Shimano DA stuff works like I like things to work. I like the carbon/ti stuff, the nice wheelsets etc...you know what I mean. Maybe more money than brains at this stage of my life but that's where I'm at.

Any recent personal experience out there?

Thanks!

· NeoRetroGrouch
6,493 Posts
NSXER said:
I want a new road bike ...shopping has become an obsession! I currently have '95 Klein MTB that was top of the line in it's time . I really like it and seldom take it off the pavement. I have ridden many of the upper end Specialized and Cannondale so-called "plush rides" w/the drop bars and although they're nice , my body misses the mountain bike's more uprite position. Of course I'm told I'd spend most of my time on the hoods on a traditional road bike but but am I missing something? I'm still not that comfortable on even those so called "comfort" rides. I know fitting is a huge component in the equation but in the test ride situation, you can only get just so close & I'd think that would be close enough for Government work.

Sure I could put skinny tires on my Klein but there is always the occassion I want to take it on a trail (and currently do). I don't want an interim bike, I want one to keep and it's not a price-dependent situation. I do solo 10-15 mile rides 3 X a week- some hills. I run and lift weights + ride to keep in shape and healthy...my goal is to stay that way. No racing, no posing, this is just for me. I want to buy another bike!

Anybody purchased a Specialized Sirrus LTD or something comparable? Of course in my road bike testing I've found that that Shimano DA stuff works like I like things to work. I like the carbon/ti stuff, the nice wheelsets etc...you know what I mean. Maybe more money than brains at this stage of my life but that's where I'm at.

Any recent personal experience out there?

Thanks!
I built one for my wife several years ago with a very upright position. Ti touring frame, XTR pods, levers and rear end with Ultegra front end and Avid Ti v-brakes. She loved it - still does, but seldom rides it since moving to a road bike.

Unless you are really sitting upright (I mean straight up) you can build a road bike with the same seat to bar drop, etc. and make it fit. The bar on a road bike CAN be higher than the saddle even if they try real hard to make everybody comply to the racing build.

TF

· Home Brew User!
2,812 Posts
I haven't but have considered it many times. I do about half my road riding on MTBs with slicks and feel more confident with the straight bars.

If you haven't already, look at the Cdale Bad Boy Ultra. I would love one.

If you end up getting something please post a pic and a ride report.

· I don't exist
2,036 Posts
I have a BB-Ultra

I love it & recomend it!

"...just ask me how..."

Lifelover said:
I haven't but have considered it many times. I do about half my road riding on MTBs with slicks and feel more confident with the straight bars.

If you haven't already, look at the Cdale Bad Boy Ultra. I would love one.

If you end up getting something please post a pic and a ride report.

· Registered
160 Posts
Is this high end?

I don't know if you consider this high end or not but I own an '05 Specialized Sirrus Pro Disc (I bought the frame and fork off of ebay and built it). I really like it. I like the fact that most of the parts are interchangeable with the garage full of mountain bike parts I have.

Oh, this picture is the speciali zed website photo. My bike is much prettier.:D

· Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Low gears in a road bike?

Thanks everybody....I'm finding that most triple roadbikes will never get me the low gearing that my Klein MTB has (11-28 cassette and 44-32-22 crank) unless I put a mountain bike XTR rear derailluer + a 11-34 set of XT cogs. I want the low gears of the mountain bike for climbing in the seat AND a road bike triple (i.e. 52-42-32) DA 10 speed derailleur up front for the speed. Probably a custom build....I know the lighter weight of the road bike vs my MTB (25 lbs) will offset the higher gear ratio, but is that enough to make an appreciable difference like lower gearing will?

· Registered
5,358 Posts
You generally don't need as low a gear on the road as on the trail-- roads aren't as steep as the steepest trails, and on pavement you don't lose traction like on dirt, so standing on climbs is more effective. DA triples are 52/39/30, and the 30 is a wierd BCD. 30t is the only available option for the granny ring on that crank. An ultegra triple is just as nice and has a more common BCD, so you could swap on a 28t ring. Or use someone else's crank, such as FSA.

You can use a mountain bike XT/XTR rear cluster to get lower gears, but only if you are running 9 speed equipment, since the MTB gearing is 9 speeds.

Many experienced riders around here will run 12-32 clusters on their road bikes for rides with really steep hills.

I personally hate flat bars for road riding. Having only one hand position gets very tiring after a while. I rode my very first century on a mountain bike (my road bike broke) 20 years ago, and I can still remember how much my shoulders hurt at the end of the ride.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.