Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I came across this one day tour which goes through 3 states. I am intrigue by it and want to see if anybody else have ridden it and is it worth the drive up to Chicago/Hammond area. Any personal experience sharing would be appreciated.

Bicycle Illinois - Illinois' Bicycle Touring Company

·
Registered
147 Posts
I did it last year. Hard for me to say whether it's worth it, seeing as how that's a matter of taste and I don't know how far a drive Hammond is for you (it's about 40 minutes to the park for me). Bicycle Illinois is basically a very small organization -I think it's just the one guy officially. You start in Forsythe park where he has a pretty decent assortment of food, and he and several helpers move two food crews to the various other stops. The ride is definitely interesting, as you bike a good portion of the bike path along Lake Michigan, and a decent amount through the city. The bulk of the ride is either on trails, or has a trail option. You can finish out a century by biking around Kenosha. It was quite hot the day I did it last year, but it was pretty fun overall, and I'll probably do it again this year (not sure whether I'll do the first one or the second one).

·
Recycle King
870 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I will be coming up from Peoria, Illinois, which is about 2hrs40mins to Chicago. I will likely be driving up Friday and stay at my friend's place to do the 1st session. As long as it is well organized, then I would say it's worth it, as I have ridden poorly organized bike tours/rides before.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.