Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just got an IF steel fork in an absolutely hideous color. I'm wondering whether I could sand- or beadblast it? It sits in a titanium frame, and I would think beadblasted steel would fit nicely. But perhaps the integrity is compromised? Or it would rust (I read in the rain)?
Thanks,

·
Unstable
195 Posts
Beethoven said:
I just got an IF steel fork in an absolutely hideous color. I'm wondering whether I could sand- or beadblast it? It sits in a titanium frame, and I would think beadblasted steel would fit nicely. But perhaps the integrity is compromised? Or it would rust (I read in the rain)?
Thanks,
Media blast then a good painter could put several coats of clear on it. Or powder coat/paint black, everything goes with black.

What sort of steel is it? I have a Reynolds 853 steel bike that I believe has seen 2 media blasts and there are no issues (one by me and one by the previous owner of the frame).

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not sure what steel it is, actually. Whatever IF uses for their topline forks, I guess.

The hope was to avoid painting (and drying), etc. But I do realize that would probably leave it too vulnerable to the elements.

·
Unstable
195 Posts
Beethoven said:
Not sure what steel it is, actually. Whatever IF uses for their topline forks, I guess.

The hope was to avoid painting (and drying), etc. But I do realize that would probably leave it too vulnerable to the elements.
Looks like they use 853 Ultralight and Truetemper S3 (?) for their frames. I would check with them directly to be safe.

·
"It's alive!"
1,454 Posts
Beethoven said:
Thanks,
On the superlight steels, you should chemically strip it, then remove any remaining paint with a very light sanding. I know that Tange used to prohibit sand or bead blasting on their Prestige tubing, and I think it is likely that the other superlight steels do as well.

If it were me, I'd probably lightly sand the current paint then spray primer and repaint. Avoid the whole question of how to get rid of the old paint without risking damage to the base metal.

Yours,

FBB

·
Registered
233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good advice. As I said, since it's entirely cosmetic I'll deal with it later. I have no gripes with IF--painting according to a moniker like 'British Racing Green' isn't easy. In the meantime, I regard it as safety device against theft.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Most steel forks, even hand made forks from high end frame builders are not made from thin wall "superlight" tubing.The blades are no thinner than 0.8-1.0 mm which is thick compared to the 0.4mm on the main tubes of the lightest tubesets.Weight is usually saved using a lighter steerer tubing such as Columbus Genius. Therefore, I would see no problem in blasting the paint off the fork.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
Depnding on the mesh/coarseness of the media, you'll basically be left with a gray matte fork. At this level, telling the diffrence from Ti will not be obvious if the frame has been blasted too. Following a media blast, the steel usualy has pits from the media impacting the steel at high CFM rates, This surface conditioning makes paint adhesion good.

Trying to give the fork a satin/brushed finish may be possible if you chemically strip it then have a metal finishing shop do the rest. If this is a lugged fork, a nice metal finish in the lugs will be :( You'll have to have it clear coated too.

·
"Cypress Gardens" Fl.
686 Posts
Just err on the safe side and chemically strip it yourself. If it was me, I'd take it to the "chromers" and get it chrome plated. Of course, thats just the retro-grouch in me spouting off. :D

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.