Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw this movie a couple years back and liked it so much that I netflixed it again. Really dark, weird story, but it's a good movie, and I think Kilmer is a decent actor, so it was totally believable.

The story's main events occur in L.A., but also in the outlying areas, and around the title name Salton Sea. The pictures from that area look surreal, and I've googled it a bit to find out more about the body of water and it's history. What a weird and fascinating place.

Anybody on the forum here ever been out to the area? Is it as burned out and dead as it looks? Any interesting facts or stories about it to tell?

·
In need of sock puppet
9,420 Posts
I want to move to Slab City.

Friends just got married at Salvation Mountain, by the artist that built it.

Very trippy place, seems like a solid spot to sit out a societal meltdown. That appeals to my inner Ted Kaczynski.

·
your text here
13,192 Posts
I have never seen the thing from start to finish, but what I saw I really liked. I keep waiting for it to hit cable again.

Just re-watched Spartan yesterday. He is good in that, but not as good as he was in kiss kiss bang bang. That movie rocks.

·
hello
3,394 Posts
ashpelham said:
Anybody on the forum here ever been out to the area?
I've been out there on a few occasions. It looks nice from afar but it's pretty damn ugly up close.
It's also interesting how it became a large body of water in the middle of the desert. Only 100 years ago it was just dry desert land.

·
Banned
14,484 Posts
roadfix said:
I've been out there on a few occasions. It looks nice from afar but it's pretty damn ugly up close.
It's also interesting how it became a large body of water in the middle of the desert. Only 100 years ago it was just dry desert land.
Yeah, it's weird, it's ugly and it stinks to high heaven.I can't imagine that people actually live there. I was desperate to get away from it.

·
Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
27,036 Posts
I love that movie and I think D'Onofrio's entrance is one of the best ever.

As it happens, my next photo road trip is to the salton sea. I've been there once, but wasn't with patient company. We hit one spot and left (though I did get pics of an abandoned motel). I'm looking forward to exploring all over that sucka.

·
Registered
417 Posts
ashpelham said:
Anybody on the forum here ever been out to the area? Is it as burned out and dead as it looks? Any interesting facts or stories about it to tell?
Yes, it is very burned out, there is a good documentary on the salton sea, not sure if you can get it on DVD. I saw it in a bar.

·
Shirtcocker
60,639 Posts
thinkcooper said:
I want to move to Slab City.

Friends just got married at Salvation Mountain, by the artist that built it.

Very trippy place, seems like a solid spot to sit out a societal meltdown. That appeals to my inner Ted Kaczynski.
The book and movie Into the Wild feature scenes from there.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts