1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Railing the Berm of Life
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If so, how do they hold up?

In eyeing either the f482sb(rear) + a291sb(f) combo

or the f372sb(rear) + a271sb (front)

I know the Chinese carbon wheel thread mentions these hubs a few times but I diddnt see many posts about nasty cross conditions.

Thanks guys!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I don't know about novatec in particular but I've used unbranded taiwanese hubs CX this year without issue. I only had to regrease the pawls on the freehub body at the end of the season. They were dry.

·
Railing the Berm of Life
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I wonder how the bearing quality compares between different Taiwanese hub manufacturers.

I think Ill be okay. Im not afraid to pull em apart and fix em when they act up(if i have to)

·
Registered
190 Posts
The Novatec's I've seen use sealed bearings so they'll be fine for CX use. I can't speak for all models though, so it might be worth contacting the seller to verify the bearing setup in them.

·
Railing the Berm of Life
300 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The ones I am interested in have sealed bearings. I read in the Circus Monkey(another Taiwanese hub) thread that they would get all sorts of messed up in the wet because of the cheap bearings with crap seals.

I guess Ill have to find out! Thanks guys.

·
Registered
190 Posts
The ones I am interested in have sealed bearings. I read in the Circus Monkey(another Taiwanese hub) thread that they would get all sorts of messed up in the wet because of the cheap bearings with crap seals.

I guess Ill have to find out! Thanks guys.
If you wear them out over a CX season order a set of Enduro Bearings and you'll be good to go for a couple more seasons. I raced two seasons on Mavic Ksyriums and they're still good as new, they certainly weren't designed for CX, but they're taking to the mud quite well.

·
Registered
313 Posts
My cx wheels are all Novatec hubs and they are still running fine after seeing a few pretty nasty races last year, plus plenty of post-race hose-downs (though I try to avoid spraying the hubs directly).

These are the FHA291SB and RHF482SB hubs. They use sealed bearings.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I have run some Vuelta wheels which use Novatec hubs (A191SB front, F172SB rear) and they held up well at USGP Madison which was real muddy on day 2.

I have since built a set of NoTubes Alpha 340 wheels using Novatec F171SB and F172SB and they also held up well to the mud and pressure washers at CX Nats. I'm planning on building a second set with the same hubs.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts