Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw this on eBay--extraordinary survival--looks like it got tossed on a top rack of some old industrial place!

http://cgi.ebay.com/1958-CINELLI-MOD-B-FRAME-FORK-HEADSET-BARS-STEM-VINTAGE_W0QQitemZ190297180097QQcmdZViewItemQQptZRoad_Bikes?hash=item190297180097&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=72%3A1205|66%3A2|65%3A12|39%3A1|240%3A1318|301%3A0|293%3A2|294%3A50

My first races were on a Cinelli "B" that my older brother used to loan me. It was a survivor from the late 50s/early '60s, complete with a rattle-can yellow paint job. I had a bike-boom French Olympic (complete with Simplex/Mafac and alloy wing-nuts--remember those?) that a local shop (Ace Cycles) used to import by the container load--not really race-ready!

My bro sold the Cinelli--probably a typical teenage financial crisis--about the time I bought my new Falcon and I've missed the Cinelli ever since...it was a great-handling bike and a great introduction (even as beat as it was) to quality bikes.

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
Looks like the seller fished it out of a lake or something. And when I looked, the bid was $510. Quite the find!

·
Boobies!
8,170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It would be some serious work, but the older Cinellis have become very collectible. By report the Japanese in particular are big fans.

I started thinking about the project--the frame is no worse than other restorations--some of the frames on Yellow Jersey or Cycle Art have been at least as bad, but I'm not sure how you could get a decent refinish on the crank for instance without spending a lot of money.

I've seen some threads on other sites of oldtimers redoing Schwinns and such--including rechroming & did get a fork redone by one of the guys who does bike parts, but it would definitely be a lot of work and expense.

OTH, it has survived since 1958--and it would be delightful to see it redone.

Very cool that it has the fenders--one of the weird things was that the Cinellis all shipped with those fenders, even as late as when I was admiring them around 1969-70, and Lorne Atkinson of Ace Cycles was importing them into Vancouver...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts