Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

· Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone kind enough to give any input on wat sized tarmac I should be riding? I am 175cm tall and have an inseam of about 81.5cm... My saddle height is 72cm centre of bb to top of saddle. A 52 seems right imho but the short head tube will mean lots of unsightly spacers. I currently ride with a drop of 8-10cm.

:mad2:

· You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
If my math skills are right, you are proposing that you are 5'10" and might ride a 52 cm frame. I'd be shocked. I'm 5'7" and some 52s are too small for me. Sounds like you can tolerate a lot more bar-to-saddle drop than I can (10 cm?) but it still doesn't dictate buying a munchkin sized bike.

Don't get your heart set on a particular manufacturer or model before you decide what really fits! Too many variables to answer your questions precisely online, but my sense is that you are simply looking at too small of bikes, period.

· Registered
10,161 Posts
get the 54cm...

If you're 5'-9" tall with a saddle height of 72cm (same as mine) then you've got a bit of a long torso.

The 110mm head tube length on the 52cm frame, with a 15mm headset top section, 2cm of spacer and a 84 degree stem would give you about 10cm of drop.

If you want a choice in the 8-10cm range, you need the larger frame. The reach on the 54cm is only about 6mm longer, so it should be better suited to your torso length.

http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?sid=06Tarmac

· Registered
21,867 Posts
Getting the number

Vinokourov said:
I am 175cm tall and have an inseam of about 81.5cm
Just to be sure, have you really measured your cycling inseam? You should be holding a dowel or 2 cm thick book up in your crotch with significant force, and then taking the distance to the floor. It sounds like you should get the bigger frame.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.