Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Which frame are you using?

I'm considering the Jamie Roy (or the commuter bike which you can 'custom' build).... I've noticed that a lot of people with the J.R are upgrading to CF forks for damping... how stiff is the J.R w/o CF forks?

This is what I created (if your interested)

·
Growing Older, Not Up
1,321 Posts
bavarian3 said:

I'm considering the Jamie Roy (or the commuter bike which you can 'custom' build).... I've noticed that a lot of people with the J.R are upgrading to CF forks for damping... how stiff is the J.R w/o CF forks?
If you are asking me, I ride a Mark V which is a steel frame/fork. I have been using Deda Pista bars which are fine for the velodrome but too stiff for my liking on the road. I plan to switch to regular road drops for the winter and that should ease any comfort issues I have with the frame.

·
Registered
2 Posts
bavarian3 said:

This is what I created (if your interested)

I'm very happy with my Jamie Roy (on which I've mounted Nitto bullhorn bars); based on my research, it's an especially good low-priced option for tall riders. I've also been thinking about switching to a carbon fiber fork. Can anyone comment on how much of a difference it will make?

·
Registered
16 Posts
I've tried a cyclocross carbon fork (which, miraculously, closely matched in offset and AC) with my Jamie Roy. Surprisingly, the JR fork was more compliant and smoother. I think the carbon fork was slightly lighter, but I saw no reason to keep it on. I went back to the original fork.

Unless I was planning to race or in some way be competitive, I would stick with the original fork.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I have questions about IRO frames as well. Right now im looking to buy a new bike. I dont ride fixed but I do plan on making the switch once more comfortable with the city. I do, however, ride single speed so I know I want a bike with a flip flop hub. The two bikes i've been considering are the IRO Mark V (or maybe Jamie Roy) or the Surly Steamroller. The downside to the surly is that it is not drilled for a back brake and im not entirely sure how difficult this procedure is. The downside to the IRO frame is that the two people i've talked to have said that the components with the IRO werent very good but it is drilled for a back brake from the get-go. The prices seem about the same if I grab the surly of bikesdirect or the IRO off of the actual website. Basically what im asking is the IRO frame worth it or would it make more sense to get a surly and to drill my own back brake holes. Please help.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.