Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ride in the suburbs just north of New York City. A couple of years ago New York State reclassified possession of small amounts of marijuana as a violation instead of a misdemeanor, which means you get fined but no other real consequences.

However, *driving* while under the influence of marijuana is still treated pretty much like DWI as far as I can tell from a quick google search, which means you're subject to arrest, license revocation, etc.

I'm sure we've all had the experience of riding and being passed by a car that simply reeks of marijuana smoke, to the point at which there's little doubt that someone's got a joint or two lit up in car.

I have no personal problem with marijuana use when it will not affect others. But driving while smoking it is way across the line in my opinion, especially if I'm out there on a bike. I've been tempted at times to call 911 and report the license plate and location of these cars, but have never actually done so.

Anyone have any thoughts or actual experience with this issue?

·
Registered
4,493 Posts
This just happened to me on a ride last week and yes; it pisses me off as well. Unfortunately, I don't own a cellphone. If I did, I'd have ALL the local police department phone numbers stored in the phone because while agree with you on the seriousness of doping and driving, I feel 911 should be reserved for more urgent police business.

Some people may think it's petty, but the police truly rely on the public to be their eyes and ears when it comes to police work. If we keep our mouths shut, we deserve what happens to us.

·
30 mpdb
1,001 Posts
You're harshing my mellow, man. If they are driving erratically and/or you don't feel safe, then by all means. But be careful - using a mobile phone while operating a moving vehicle is just as dangerous.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
I experience the smoking drivers frequently. Kind of go with the country roads in these parts. So far none of them have given any hassle at all, nothing dangerous.

There's houses too... ones that always smell like fresh plants if you know what I mean. I don't bother any of them, they don't bother me.

You know what bothers me? The fockers that blow the black diesel smoke. Those coal rollers. They're an issue for me. Minor and all probably but it's offensive.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I frequently smell it when cars pass also. I've never experienced one driving erratically though. I don't think it's right but I would still rather have drivers smoke marijuana than drink alcohol.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
As far as I know Cops don't have a way to test for it. So unless the person is caught in the act of driving bad and there's a empty box of twinkles in the car you might be wasting the Cops time because they cant test for it. Someone please correct me if there is a way cops can test for driving under the influence of weed.

I've wanted to report texters but figure that will be a waste of time too.

·
Registered
227 Posts
In the area you speak of not much if anything is done. This one isn't due to the cops. It's is more centered around the extreme difficulty of getting a conviction of a DWAI (no DWI for drugs and therefore no DWI as a felony when sefond offense in 10 years). Unless you draw blood...meeting the standard of proof is just not going to happen. Even if the driver admits to smoking marijuana.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
I frequently smell it when cars pass also. I've never experienced one driving erratically though. I don't think it's right but I would still rather have drivers smoke marijuana than drink alcohol.
Agreed.
I've also worked with both and would much rather work with someone that's stoned than drunk.

·
Registered
227 Posts
I totally agree here. Weed makes a more cautions and paranoid driver.
Would you say that to the guy who would kill your loved on? So many of the posts I'm reading show an utter lack of reality. Sounds like you dudes are out of touch. Today's weed aint the **** you smoked when you were "experimenting." When I was a kid (grad HS 1990) some red hairs and moist bud was the bomb. Now its hydro and has crystals and purple ****. Alcohol is usually involved with weed as well. Heck of a combo.

Lets not forget that weed is also often used to bring someone down from other more intense highs.

Big important factor here. I'll us me. I'm a very active guy. I have been a party guy since 15. Became a cop and dropped the other fun stuff at 21. I can drink beer and wine literally all day and hit the volleyball court or basketball court til I drop. Beach heat 90F and a cooler of beer; I'm there. And then ready to go after a shower! I can function at a pretty high BAC.

NOW lets have shots...Everything changes. I'm no "man" when it comes to hard liquor. It just wrecks me. I mean silly boy wreck. Only time I have liquor is a few times a year with a good steak. I don't eat much steak. But when I do it's good and I love a top quality craft bourbon straight up...don't like it neat. But if I have more than 2...bad news for me.

That whole soap box is meant to mirror the thread where a guy asks; what XXX is best for me?? And everyone answers, depends on xxx. It's kida the same...1 guys intox on weed isnt the same as another on alcohol. So variable and dependable on the person.

·
30 mpdb
1,001 Posts
Plus: Snitches get stitches.

But it all depends on how savvy the ociffer lays it out if/when they pull that car over. If the po po say they got a report from a cyclist about the strong odor of the diggity-dank, then godspeed my friend.

·
gazing from the shadows
27,290 Posts
I'm sure we've all had the experience of riding and being passed by a car that simply reeks of marijuana smoke, to the point at which there's little doubt that someone's got a joint or two lit up in car.

I have no personal problem with marijuana use when it will not affect others. But driving while smoking it....
I have not had that experience.

Interesting how everyone assumes the driver is smoking, and not just the passenger(s). Plenty of people use designated drivers, or at least have a driver who waits before partaking until arrival at a destination.

I have no problem with calling in dangerous drivers, but just smelling pot seems to me to fall short of being enough to make such a call, absent line crossing or weaving or something like that.

·
Cycling Addict
5,178 Posts
Would you say that to the guy who would kill your loved on? So many of the posts I'm reading show an utter lack of reality. Sounds like you dudes are out of touch. Today's weed aint the **** you smoked when you were "experimenting." When I was a kid (grad HS 1990) some red hairs and moist bud was the bomb. Now its hydro and has crystals and purple ****. Alcohol is usually involved with weed as well. Heck of a combo.

Lets not forget that weed is also often used to bring someone down from other more intense highs.

Big important factor here. I'll us me. I'm a very active guy. I have been a party guy since 15. Became a cop and dropped the other fun stuff at 21. I can drink beer and wine literally all day and hit the volleyball court or basketball court til I drop. Beach heat 90F and a cooler of beer; I'm there. And then ready to go after a shower! I can function at a pretty high BAC.

NOW lets have shots...Everything changes. I'm no "man" when it comes to hard liquor. It just wrecks me. I mean silly boy wreck. Only time I have liquor is a few times a year with a good steak. I don't eat much steak. But when I do it's good and I love a top quality craft bourbon straight up...don't like it neat. But if I have more than 2...bad news for me.

That whole soap box is meant to mirror the thread where a guy asks; what XXX is best for me?? And everyone answers, depends on xxx. It's kida the same...1 guys intox on weed isnt the same as another on alcohol. So variable and dependable on the person.
While there is some truth to the statement that "it depends", the bolded paragraph shows an extreme level of hypocrisy. "I can function at a pretty high BAC." Wow... talk about out of touch...

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.