Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Rodie Persona
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have three jerseys I really like: Over The Bars Mountain Bike Club, Planet Ultra King of the Mountains series, and North Coast Brewery Acme Ale I picked up on a tour earlier this month. Problem is I hate the zippers on these jerseys. They are the hidden zippers with tiny little teeth. The zipper gets all hung up when unzipping while riding. What I want is a more exposed, larger width, full zipper. Has anyone replaced the zipper on a jersey? Any problems or is this a straight forward thing for a good seamstress?

·
Registered
607 Posts
I’ve done it with several jerseys. About $10 each at the drycleaners/tailors.
Since then, I just consider only full-length zippers.

·
Banned
1,843 Posts
yeah- had a zipper break on a pearl izumi jersey about 11 years ago. PI honored their lifetime warranty- I bought a zipper (a better one than their original), took it to a tailor, sent the receipts to pearl izumi and they cut me a check for reimbursement.

·
Rodie Persona
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awesome thanks for the responses. This reassures me that I am not going to screw up some of my favorite jerseys.

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
Most dry cleaners will do it. I've also had shorts repaired at the cleaners. Beats the hell outta buying new ones.

·
Registered
4,456 Posts
Funny; I'm trying to replace a broken full zipper on a jersey myself.

Problem is, the fabric store doesn't carry zippers in the length I need, but this place is a dump, anyway. I may just cave in and bring it to someone that has access to the right stuff.

One thing I DID do, is I sewed a stuff pocket in a lightweight cycling jacket. You know the kind; while wearing the jacket you can use the pocket to stash stuff. Take the jacket off and it stuffs into itself. Works like a charm.

Here's a closeup:

·
Rodie Persona
469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice work Peter P!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts