Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stupid a$$ commute of 100 miles, one way (but not every day). Sometimes I do a combo where I drive ~82 miles and bike the rest. the trouble is, it seriously cuts into my sleep. I feel lame when I don't do it. So, just wondering if anyone else out there does something similar. Not that any of you would be asinine enough to live this far from work...

· Just Riding Along
1,024 Posts
I do a combo/hybrid commute...

If I biked the whole commute, it would be 25 mi each way and the last 5 miles on the return gain about 600'. To get home at a reasonable hour, I park 18.2 miles from work and bike commute from there. I also have options at 15 and 12.5 miles.

There's no question that it cuts into family and sleep time. Sometimes I cope by taking a nap at lunch hour. Otherwise, I'm resigned to very little personal time at home. Last night was a good example: today is trash & recycling day, so Tuesday night always has about 45 minutes devoted to cleaning the cat boxes, collecting and putting the trash and recycling curbside. Then the usual things: time to clean up the kitchen after dinner (Mrs. K had a pm meeting so, while I usually help out, I had it all last night), put Miss K to bed (includes bedtime reading), make lunch for today, do a load of laundry, get clothes ready for am commute, 1 hr of couples time with TV & Mrs. K, get ready for bed. I got up 10 minutes early to have the time to get the bike ready and onto the car. This is not a complaint; I have a family because I want one and acknowledge the investment required to maintain one....

The bike time is important enough to me to fit it into the schedule. When I had a 55 mile commute, I did the bike for the last 15 miles. I got a 50 - 55 minute bike ride and it added about 30 minutes to my commute (each way). It's about the same now with a 75 minute bike ride which adds 45 minutes to the am commute and ~ 30 minutes to the evening commute (avoids traffic slowdowns.)

P.S. I try to be philosophical about commute distance; it's not for ever and there's always someone who has it worse. The oldest part of my house was built during the revolution. After the civil war it was owned by a whaling ship captain who sailed from Sag Harbor on Long Island Sound. I live in Northen New Jersey, about equidistant from the Delaware and Hudson Rivers. That captain had to travel 153 miles one way to get to work and I can only guess he walked, took trains, hired carriages, etc. and that it took more than one day. Of course, his voyages lasted as long as 2 years, so he probably spent less of his life commuting than I do, but I sleep in my own bed every night.... Whenever I grumble about my commute, I think about his....

· just ride your bike
518 Posts
No showers at work for me, so I drive 12 miles and ride 10 miles. It's impossible not to sweat in Tampa, even on the 10 miler, but I can stay reasonably clean with a bird bath after I arrive. No way that works if I rode the whole 22; I've tried. It doesn't add much to my commute, I get to be on my bike instead of sitting in Tampa traffic.

· Registered
5,525 Posts
I do when I pick-up my daughters after work. My commute is just 4.5 miles, but the ride home to get the car, then the drive to get them, can take a while. I park a couple miles from work and save about 20-25 minutes. Plus, I avoid paying to park downtown.

· Seat's not level
19,395 Posts
Yup. My commute is about 32 miles each way. Too much for a daily commute, so I do a hybrid. I drive until I'm 12.5 miles from the office and ride in from there. There are some ups and downs in the route which make it nice. In the afternoon I ride back to the car and miss most of the bad traffic.

I get up about 20 minutes early to work it in and it's not a problem.

· abominable slowman
1,072 Posts
Occasionally. My commute is about 45 miles one way. I telecommute twice a week and I used to do a combo car/bike commute one other day each week. I would drive about 32 miles, park, and ride in from there with a quick rinse in the shower at the office. It added about 45-50 min to my commute (incl. the shower). It's been a little tough to squeeze in since my wife's schedule changed but I'm planning to resume now that summer is here.

· Registered
32 Posts
Depending where I work I may ride and bike. I am a consultant and when I work downtown I leave my car at a Park and Ride and ride my bike in from there. I live in the country so due to time constraints and distance I will drive/bike. On days when I work in the office, I bike from home (half highway, a quarter dirt/gravel road, and a quarter residential).

· Registered
61 Posts
My commute is 50 miles one way, and Highway all the way. On three days during Ride Your Bike to Work Week- I parked the car at a Home Depot 12 miles from work and rode the back roads in.

My hands froze in the morning, and it was tough to carry a lunch in my bag- as I now had to take a change of clothes. I could shower at work as well. I want to try doing this the balance of spring and summer, so I could probably leave extra clothes in my office.

Chris

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.