Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good ride...excellent support and nice route. PLENTY windy and lots of nice hills. I did the 62 mile route with no pacelining and ended up averaging exactly 18mph with brief stops at three rest stops. The wind was ripping ~20mph (weather channel said between 20-30mph but I doubt that) at times and I would say at least 30-40% of the ride was straight into it, but the times with it were fun!! Anyone else?

·
Adventure Seeker
5,115 Posts
20 mile winds are tough. I didn't do that, but got off for the Space Race next weekend! I'm pumped about it, as it'll be my last ride before I do the MS150. I'm debating on whether to do the 80 or 100. My max so far is 71. If you're averaging 18 over 62 miles, you're ahead of me. On the last ride, I was averaging close to 16 at that mileage, but it dropped way down after that.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I did this morning as well. I did the 80 mile ride . It took five hours but i did it. MCF you are so right the winds were a killer but it made more challenging.
Thanks Peanya for all the advice, I was drinking lke there was a drought but i noticed the difference.No cramps and i felt good afterwards. I average about 16 as well. I seem to wear off at the end , the beginning was great and fast.
I may have to pass up the Space Race next weekend. I am gonna work on fast 40 to 50 mile rides.

·
Registered
3,182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I did the Bluebonnet Express on Sunday. Much less wind and fewer hills. Made the mistake of 'forgetting' about the effort on Saturday and went out and was averaging about 22mph for the first 30miles - out all by myself doing the 48 mile route, then things went bad. Pretty much just limped in the last 18 miles and averaged 18.8mph for the ride. I am pushing myself hard on all my training rides and riding by myself without any pace lining because I plan to do the 150 solo (unless it turns out to be really windy). Have done plenty of group rides in pacelines and it just seems to take something away from me. Yes, if I want to go fast, I get in line. If I want to feel like I did it all by yourself, I resist the urge to drop in behind people.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts