Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The route will follow secondary roads from Van to Seattle. They're trying to have one lane at the border reserved for riders. But they won't release the actual route until 2 days before the ride, because there is concern about people training on the route and safety issues arising if last-minute changes to the route have to be made.

Good luck with your fundraising, as well!

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'd love to do the ride (Ontario edition which goes from Toronto to Niagara Falls), but you have to fund raise something like $1,500 which is a bit outrageous and makes it a bit of an elitist gathering where pampered middle age guys come to show off their expensive bikes and court each other, so it's not my cup of tea.

It is a great cause though, so hats off to all participants who can gather that much money.

·
My other bike has knobbys
656 Posts
I'm in for the Alberta ride and just made (between what's in and what I have commitments for) the minimum, so I am a 100% go.

I won't be on the Mercury (it's a tad heavy and old for this sort of ride) and I've managed to get a nice tax return, so I won't have to do it on the mtb with slicks either (*whew*...I've done 200 km on the fs mtb in a ride once....it was quite the long haul and I think a proper road bike...even a tourer...will make the ride a heck of a lot nicer).

·
Roadbike Rider
1,260 Posts
Anyone not doing it

I'm going to get at least five requests to sponsor

·
Registered
663 Posts
I'm not, as I just got into road cycling, but my girlfriend will be on the BC ride. Her motivation is to recognize the 10th anniversary of her father's passing due to cancer.

·
Registered
2,078 Posts
iamnotfilip said:
I'd love to do the ride (Ontario edition which goes from Toronto to Niagara Falls), but you have to fund raise something like $1,500 which is a bit outrageous and makes it a bit of an elitist gathering where pampered middle age guys come to show off their expensive bikes and court each other, so it's not my cup of tea.

It is a great cause though, so hats off to all participants who can gather that much money.

Elitist gathering?

They are trying to raise as much money as possible with a limited number of spots. Thay are not trying to make it accessible to every one who wants to ride. Their fixed costs are high and if they opened it up based on entry fees or a first come first served basis they would lose money.

$1500 is attainable for anyone. If you really cared about the cause and wanted to do the ride you would sign up in the fall and get off your ass. That would give you months to hit up everyone you know and knock on a few hundred doors to canvas for donations. So quit whining, if you really wanted to do it, you should have put in the effort.

Fundraising is never fun. It is hard work asking people to part with their money.

·
Registered
52 Posts
ewitz said:
Elitist gathering?

They are trying to raise as much money as possible with a limited number of spots. Thay are not trying to make it accessible to every one who wants to ride. Their fixed costs are high and if they opened it up based on entry fees or a first come first served basis they would lose money.

$1500 is attainable for anyone. If you really cared about the cause and wanted to do the ride you would sign up in the fall and get off your ass. That would give you months to hit up everyone you know and knock on a few hundred doors to canvas for donations. So quit whining, if you really wanted to do it, you should have put in the effort.

Fundraising is never fun. It is hard work asking people to part with their money.
The unfortunate thing about the RTCC is that the majority of money raised goes to paying salaries and other operating expenses of the Canadian Cancer Society(same as other organizations). My club does a ride same day as the RTCC in BC(which we had announced the dates first...I won't tell you how rude the RTCC people were when we asked why they had picked a date they knew we were using) and 100% off the money raised goes to Cancer research. We raised $290,000 last year. We ride from Kelowna to Vancouver in one day (400km) and its called the ride2survive and we accept donations online.

And I have to say your response to iamnotflip is a little "elitist"

·
Registered
142 Posts
iamnotfilip said:

Correction ... the required fund raising is $2,500 ...

I called in to enroll for $75 but the $2500 fund raising commitment is too high for my reach.

·
Registered
134 Posts
It's not meant to be easy, but that doesn't make it elitist. Some people will give all they've got just to get across the finish line; for me, the fundraising has been the struggle, but at the same time it's great (especially in this economy) to see how generous and understanding people are. I think iamnotfilip's view is rather cycnical. There are people there who won't have dusted off their bikes in years, and there are people who race; there are people, like myself, who have never really done any kind of fundraising like this, and there are people who have raised tens of thousands. I don't know what it's like in Ontario, but eveyone I've talked to seems really genuine. I'm sure there will be the odd bike snob, but in the end this isn't even about the bike - read some of the profile pages. Probably because this is the first Alberta edition, but there is no rider cap, either. As many can sign up to ride as they want. And as far as I understand, 100% of money donated here goes to the Alberta Cancer Foundation which directly funds the Cross Cancer Institute in Edmonton, and the Tom Baker Cancer Center in Calgary. I don't think the ride is elitist. You have people from all walks participating, because cancer knows no bounds.

·
me rikey to bikey
60 Posts
I'm participating in BC, and happy to report that I'm close to my 2500 goal for fundraising.

I'm just a guy who likes to ride bikes, including mountain bikes, and I believe that Cancer will touch each person in one form or another. Raising some money and doing something that will be fun is what it's all about.

Good luck to all those involved.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Since I'm the OP, I thought I'd respond to some of the earlier comments.

First, I find it reprehensible that the RTCC scheduled their event on the same weekend as the Ride2Survive. I had a look at your website. What you're doing is incredible and should be supported by everyone, especially the BC Cancer Foundation.

Second, I don't believe that the majority of funds does not go to salaries and operating expenses. The average overhead cost for BCCF fundraising efforts is 13%, although they cannot specify what the overhead for the RTTC will be. However, with all the volunteer effort that's involved, I can't believe that the majority of the funds will be eaten up by overhead.

Third, I don't believe the RTTC is elitist. In fact, I see it as the opposite of elitist. The ride distance, the route, the organization, and the support should make the ride accessible to most people of all ages and fitness level, providing they put in a reasonable amount of training time. Certainly, this is how it's working out for me. On the other hand, the idea of either training for a one-day 400 km ride, or organizing a relay team for an event would be extremely daunting for me. (This, of course, increases my admiration for the folks who complete the Ride2Survive.)

Fourth, I haven't found the fundraising difficult. On the contrary, it has given me and opportunity to get in touch with friends, relatives, business colleagues, and clients. In fact, this event has turned out to be a significant marketing vehicle for my business. Everyone I've contacted is enthusiastic about the cause, and almost everyone has agreed to donate, in amounts ranging from $20 to $500. Even among those who can't donate at this time, I have invited them to keep in touch as I get ready for the ride.

Overall, I would like to see room made for both events in BC. If I get the opportunity, I'm sure going to raise the issue of the R2S with the RTTC organisers.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Fund Raising is easier than you think

I am riding the Montreal to Quebec City RTCC and found that the tools they give you make the fundraising easy. You can download your contacts from outlook and send out messages in many forms. After 30 minutes of registering I had 50 messages to my friends, family and business contacts and my $2500 was done. I am also arranging a pub night and hope to raise that amount again.
As for the amount of money that goes to administrate this ride, I am told it is very low, plus the total from last years ride in Toronto only was over $14 million. Remember that RTCC has a large number of corporate sponsors that more than pay for any admin costs.
I have had contact with at least 6 people so far and all of them are volunteers. I do not think it would be possible to run something this big without some paid staff and costs such as tents, food, advertising, etc.
Hats off to all who are fundraising, whether it is this ride or some other one. For those of you that criticise us, I only hope that you change you attitude and either participate or sponsor a rider, we need all the help we can get to rid us of this horrible sickness.

What we’re saying today is that you're either part of the solution or you’re part of the problem.
Eldridge Cleaver (1935 - ), Speech in San Francisco, 1968

·
656 Posts
Hey all,

Just thought I'd update. Cancer Crusaders (my team for the 2010 Alberta RTCC) is up to 6 members (one has a private campaign at present) and we're doing great. We've got a shop behind us with staff deals and some great ideas for a team jersey using the midieval theme. We may even get some corporate support to boot.

Sounds like the Alberta Ride heard the complaints from last year....the route was only 184 km, but had a 30 km headwind on the second day (considered light for the area) and over a vertical mile of climbing, including a hill with a 5 km 3% grade warmup to a 5 km ~8% grade hill...so it looks like they are considering a loop or an out and back so the Ride will start and end in Calgary.

If anyone out there is considering doing the Alberta ride, please feel free to drop me a line....We'd love to have you join us.

Cheers :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
nope....RTCC is a bit steep for the folks i roll with.....great for them and those who can raise the funds, they raise a ton for cancer. Just seems to be marketed/media to death.

I did the "Tour for kids cancer" ride last year. 4 days x 200km, 160km or 100km a day options.....great ride with full support for an amazing charity and casue.... totally open books and 100% of the money raised goes to the camps and cancer care for kids and their families. These people have just blown me away. Fund raising goals are a little less and the ride just seems more human or personal.....RTCC has been a huge success thats for sure.

·
656 Posts
The local ride is pretty new, so not quite the same hype yet. Perhaps that's a saving grace. I'll have to fire off a pic of the team jersey I've designed....something tells me a few folks here will be surprised by the design (though it goes well with the team theme).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts