Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
CTS camps

I wouldn't do a CTS camp again, even if I won it for free. We got to the airport in california, and the pickup was 2 hours late! The hotel was not as billed, I was with my spouse (also participating in the camp). The rooms were extremely small, no heat or a/c to speak of. There was construction going on starting at 5 a.m. Needless to say no sleep!
The bike mechanic that CTS hired broke the derailler hanger on my new bike, so I could not ride the first three days. The sessions were not well organized and the location of the feed zones during the rides changed twice with no notice.
Chris Carmichel was a friggin no show to boot. I would not recommend them to anyone. Their coaches are only interested in making money, and don't give a rat's A$$ about you except when it comes time to pay the bill
my .02 cents:mad:

·
Registered
474 Posts
mavicwheels said:
I wouldn't do a CTS camp again, even if I won it for free. We got to the airport in california, and the pickup was 2 hours late! The hotel was not as billed, I was with my spouse (also participating in the camp). The rooms were extremely small, no heat or a/c to speak of. There was construction going on starting at 5 a.m. Needless to say no sleep!
The bike mechanic that CTS hired broke the derailler hanger on my new bike, so I could not ride the first three days. The sessions were not well organized and the location of the feed zones during the rides changed twice with no notice.
Chris Carmichel was a friggin no show to boot. I would not recommend them to anyone. Their coaches are only interested in making money, and don't give a rat's A$$ about you except when it comes time to pay the bill
my .02 cents:mad:
Don't sugarcoat it, tell us how you really feel:p

·
Registered
272 Posts
opinion asked, opinion given

The OP asked if anyone had done a CTS training camp, I did was not happy at all. A shame that someone of no experience with this, seems ready to spout off, and didn't even experience the frustration of having paid good money. We found outselves lacking in both service and the expertise that was promised in the brochure. It just amazes me when folks talk out there @@@@@

·
Administrator
13,151 Posts
For North Carolina, maybe look at Peaks Cycling- really good with power, and I enjoyed the Tuscon camp I did with them.

Tuscon in February = awesome btw.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Coolhand said:
For North Carolina, maybe look at Peaks Cycling- really good with power, and I enjoyed the Tuscon camp I did with them.

Tuscon in February = awesome btw.
That actually would be perfect, unfortunately no camps until next year unless Peaks hasn't updated the web page. I'll give a call today.
February in AX would beat Feb. in VA...
Thanx

·
Registered
622 Posts
I did the camp in Buellton CA this year in Feb, and found it to be just the opposite experience as described by mavicwheels. Good hotel, excellent service, Chris was there and the perfect host. Don't know why my experience was different than MW's, but I had a great time.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
mavicwheels said:
The OP asked if anyone had done a CTS training camp, I did was not happy at all. ............ We found outselves lacking in both service and the expertise that was promised in the brochure...............
Surely you had a "heart to heart" talk with CTS after the camp. Something like "mail my refund to ....."! What was their response?

Back to the original short cycling vacation question, you should look at http://www.crmbt.com/

They have both a week and a 4 day option. You can also get rooms through http://www.cyclewithalpine.com/

I've used this service with other tours and have generally been very happy. They have years of experience in Colorado and know which motel/hotels get good feedback and which do not. Not to say that things always stay the same, but you have to start somewhere.

·
Dopers ruin sport
508 Posts
I did the camp in NC and it was the best time I ever had on a bike. I am going again this summer. The coachs are GREAT. You learn a lot. There are hotels all over the place so it won't be hard to find on. One of my favorite places is riding the Blue Ridge Pakway it is really pretty up there. I would recommend going to the camp in NC!!!!!

·
Registered
272 Posts
CTS camp experience

After our debacle with the CTS camp in California, my wife asked for a full refune. Their response was "we can give you 25% off the next cycling camp or 10% off a new membership." My wife explained the entire situation to them, and to be honest, they (CTS) did not seem to be sympathetic in the least. I wrote a nice 10 page (yes it was 10 pages to Mr. Carmichel) and of course no response. The only thing I have left is to let folks know that once they have your money, you are no longer in control. So good luck.....
If I had it to do over again, knowing what I know now, go with another company. There are many fine and reputable coaching companies out there. My only explaination for the treatment we got was, CTS has gotten very large, and no longer looks after the treatment of individuals.

·
In need of sock puppet
9,451 Posts
Does the USCF still do Olympic Training Camps? I was invited as a developmental rider to the program at the Lake Placid OTC in the mid 80's and had a blast. Walter Golebiewski (sp?), US Olympic team coach at the time ran the program and put a great session together. Diet, weight training, psychology, tactics, riding. It was dirt cheap as well - like almost free.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
roadie92 said:
I did the camp in NC and it was the best time I ever had on a bike. I am going again this summer. The coachs are GREAT. You learn a lot. There are hotels all over the place so it won't be hard to find on. One of my favorite places is riding the Blue Ridge Pakway it is really pretty up there. I would recommend going to the camp in NC!!!!!
Thanks, it's about a 3 hr drive from here, would be convenient both in timing and taking all the crap I like to lug rather then packing the bike bag on a plane. Blue Ridge/skyline drive is Awesome, I'm fortunate here in VA to have a good chunk of it coursing through the state. Try the Front Royal VA 80 mile route, it's like a mini TDF stage

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.