Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
about 3 years ago i came up on a guy in a f350, saw he was sitting in the driver's seat not moving, figured he was waiting for me to pass. soom as i tried, bam, shoulder into the glass, lots of blood, sprained neck. guy payed for me to get sewn up and a new bike to settle out of court though. didn't think i needed a helmet back then, but i ripped the top off a cycling cap. ordered one the next day.

anyway, it's made me very sketchy in urban commuting situations. i hate passing parked cars and spend way too much time looking through back windshields to see if anyone is sitting in the driver seat. guess it's something i'll just get over in time, as the fear certainly isn't enough to stop me riding places.

anyone else ever been doored? in my opinion, it's one of the scariest parts about riding in general, only other thing that worries me is people towing things, they don't seem to know how the load is going to move.

· Registered
2,771 Posts
knock on wood, no.
had a few close calls.

I'll ride a safe distance from most parked cars. Sometimes i hug them, but only when i can see there isn't anyone in there.

2 1/2 feet from them is enough space drivers don't get pissy. and if i see someone it only requires a little 6-8" adjustment into the driving lane which hopefully won't put me on someone's hood.

Take the lane. Cyclists have a right to the road. It's absurd to put ourselves in a very risky spot by hugging mirrors.

· Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Nope. I never ride so close to parked cars that I can't move out a few inches.

· Registered
11,555 Posts
Almost 50 years ago.

Came to the USA in October 1958 and got doored in December of that year riding my bike at high speed down Holmes Avenue in Huntsville, Alabama. I spoke no English, but it was obvious that the doorer was pissed at me for tearing his mouse-fuzz door paneling. I shouldered my bike and got the hell out of there because I had been told that all Americans have a gun in their car.

· Cookin in AZ
221 Posts
wim said:
Came to the USA in October 1958 and got doored in December of that year riding my bike at high speed down Holmes Avenue in Huntsville, Alabama. I spoke no English, but it was obvious that the doorer was pissed at me for tearing his mouse-fuzz door paneling. I shouldered my bike and got the hell out of there because I had been told that all Americans have a gun in their car.

1958 Alabama, That may have been true.

· Registered
484 Posts
Nope, but came very, very close in Sausalito near San Francisco once. Taxi cab stopped in the middle of the street, passenger in rear opened right door slightly, thought passenger saw me and stopped opening door completely so I can pass. Nope, he was merely talking to taxi driver. About the same time I was about to pass him, out came the door. Good thing I had about 2 ft clearance from the cab, but I still had to swerve the bike at last sec to avoid him. Swerve almost caused me to lose control of my bike and would have been really ugly if I had crash; would have crashed into a park car. Plus, i think I was going about 22 mph or so. I stopped and said what's up? He apologized. That stretch of Sausalito through downtown is known for tourist. Ever since I made it rule for myself not to exceed 15 or 17 mph riding through that stretch of town.

· Super Moderator
19,599 Posts
I have. It was a very minor door-ing but resulted in a lasting injury.

I was cruising home and was just around the corner from my house. I wasn't paying attention and ran into the open door of a contractor's truck. He was in there writing up a quote for someone. I excused myself and kept right on going. Unfortunately I injured my finger in that mishap. Partially dislocated it, severe sprain. I still have a bone chip in my knuckle.

· Registered
14,776 Posts
A long time ago,

on K street in D.C. I've learned to avoid it. I watch for people in cars. If there's somebody there, you make enough room, that's all. In your situation, I would have moved out in the lane; if I couldn't do that because of following traffic, I'd slow, and stop if necessary. I would never assume he was waiting for me to pass. In fact, I always assume they won't look at all.

I'd also know whether there was room to move out, because I have a mirror and I use it. Most of the time, if there's not sufficient road width to allow me to clear obstacles and permit a safe pass, I'll already be taking the lane, as Fleck said. If you're going fast enough to do the kind of damage you described, you're going fast enough to take the lane.

The only factor that I can imagine causing that to happen to me again is those damn dark-tinted windows, which oughta be against the law, IMO.

· Premium Member
10,106 Posts
I was about 14 and riding my bike on a street where I was not allowed to ride -- my mother insisted that I ride my bike only in the park across the street from our house, not on any street with traffic. I hit the inside of the door of a very large, circa 1970 American-made sedan. The driver, a woman, started screaming at me. I realized that neither my bike nor I were hurt, jumped on the bike and sped away. If people wonder why I ride far from parked cars, even on busy city streets, this is why.

· Frog Whisperer
41,516 Posts
no thanks, I'll pass.....

parked cars make me nervous..it I see someone IN a parked car...I assume they are waiting until I get there to open it............

· Registered
659 Posts
Happened last night.... passenger in a car stopped at traffic lights opened her door into the cycle lane that runs inside the line of traffic. Thankfully she got out quickly and her chubbiness cushioned the impact meaning I stayed upright. She was apologetic and tearful and I gave the driver an earful (it's an offence here to fail to check that it's clear before opening a door) as I untangled my handlebars from the girl's bag straps.

· Registered
5,844 Posts
I always try to pass parked cars with about 3' to spare. Getting doored scares me more than getting hit from behind. I've had some drivers fling their doors open as I approached, but I've never been hit because I keep my distance from parked cars.

A similar issue is cars backing out of driveways. Probably the closest I have come to getting hit by a car is someone backing out a driveway, and it's much harder to notice them than parked cars.

· Registered
162 Posts
Yep. I was coming down a hill towards an intersection, without room to take the lane, due to cars coming to a stop at the light.

This is why my commuter is a big steel mtb with a rigid fork and street slicks... and an 8" disc brake in front. In the city, there's no such thing as too much stopping power.

I hit the brakes and managed to slow down just enough that the impact didn't cause any injury. Scared the hell out of the driver, though. Think he thought he was in for a serious beating. (This was back in the days when I had a beard, wore my hair in a braid, and pumped iron regularly.) I pulled back, gave him a dirty look, and kept riding.

I did have to ditch the carbon bar afterwards though. It wasn't showing any damage, but they rarely do. When in doubt, throw it out. Sigh....

· Registered
659 Posts
A cyclist in the city where I live was hit by a car door being opened this morning and he fell into traffic and was killed. Be careful, alert and take the lane if you think there is any chance of a door opening in front of you.

· Registered
990 Posts
yep

Riding fast along parked cars, a door opens, i go over the door, flip, and land on my shoulder and back, sliding to a stop, unhurt.

I look in the car, and the woman in the drivers seat is petrified, just griping the steering wheel. i have her get out and sit on the curb while she collects herself. somehow, this scared her alot more than me.

this happened directly in front of an office for a candate running for governor. i thought about the possible cosmic message i had received, but voted for him anyway.

i look at my bike, which is more or less unscathed, and rode on.

i learned about looking for driver's heads in cars as i approach and now assume they'll fling the door open.

· Registered
449 Posts
Oh yeah

Way back when I commuted to college at U. of Wis.-Madison, riding down a long hill (University Ave, I think). I had a good head of steam and a door flung open right in front of me. I almost missed it -- somehow clipped the chrome stripping on the end of the guy's door with my handlebar (hey, this was the '70s when cars had chrome stripping) and kept control of the bike. I came to a stop and turned around, driver was *****ing at me because the chrome was partially ripped away from his door. I just laughed, and back then, probably acknowledged him with a one-finger salute, and rode off. Only damage to my bike was some torn bar tape.

I've had some other close calls, and nowadays I give parked cars a wide berth and check closely for passengers who might open a door.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.