Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This happens sometimes, ill be riding and then a situation on the road will cause a liggettism to pop in my head. Today I was tired and had a couple hills left to go till home.... queue the Phil Liggett in my head.

"And oh how it hurts for this man"

What are yours?

PS: I think that line was from the 2000 Hautacam stage when Javier Otxoa hit the wall

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,979 Posts
I have two:

"Oh! And now the climb is starting to bite just a bit."

"He's cracked! He's cracked! Mr. Versatile is in serious trouble. He's totally shattered!"

·
The Gimlet Eye
918 Posts
I remember Paul and Phil's commentary during one of the mountain stages last TDF.
It was one where Vinokourov was attacking over and over again (that doesn't help does it).

Paul said something along the lines of "why does Vinokourov keep looking down at his gears...is he playing some kind of game?

Phil cut to the chase: "He's cracked, that's what he's doing"

·
What the Hell is going on
5,003 Posts
My goodness me

Nope, not really. :(

·
Registered
21,511 Posts
Here's a few

Live to fight another day! That's put the cat among the pigeons! Not a pedal turned in anger. He climbs like an angel, The little man with the big heart. He's wearing the mask of pain, Ekimov is trying to get on terms. Once again, they've stretched the elastic. The elastic has snapped. And the heads of state have come to the fore. Are they on the road to stardom, or are they lambs to the slaughter? Dancing on the pedals in the Polka Dot Jersey. Having been robbed of the day's prize, you'll notice the big sprinters aren't at the front, sharpening their legs. I really thought his legs had left him behind a few kilometers back. Once you pull on that golden fleece, you become two men. His legs have turned to rubber and his effort reduced to mere survival. He's showed them a clean pair of wheels. Ooh and it's Fondriest-with his legs on! Bo Hamburger is, I dare to say it, fried. There he goes, in a gear most men use only on the downhills! The fox is in the hen house now! Now this move is going to cause panic in the bunch He's ripping the legs off them. The peloton is riding like scalded cats. The pirate is about to board the ship. He is really plowing a wide furrow through the field today. There is now a chief among the Indians! My goodness me! And again they are crossing swords at the front. The Tour chooses it's champions where the mountains bear the snows of winter. To wear the yellow jersey is to mingle with the gods of cycling. The mountains again have produced the truth. The Tour has dealt it's first blow. The weather is something of a damp squid. He's got [insert rider name] in a bit of a bother now. This is a big beefy boy! He's turned himself inside-out! He knows now that his friend at the dinner table is his rival on the road. He's crazy. He's always been crazy. And what on EARTH is he doing? Hinault... is he a superman or a fool He's dancing on his pedals in a most immodest way! There's no reason to rush into hell. Once you pull on that golden fleece, you become two men. I think Sean Kelly told Fignon in broad Irish exactly what he thought of that idea Though he's bald, he's only 23 years old! The fox is in the hen house now Zabel, Zabel, Zabel, Zabel, Zabel Don't look back. You know what's going on back there because you just left

·
No team-cest unless 8+!
7,158 Posts
Erotomaniac said:
This happens sometimes, ill be riding and then a situation on the road will cause a liggettism to pop in my head. Today I was tired and had a couple hills left to go till home.... queue the Phil Liggett in my head.

"And oh how it hurts for this man"

What are yours?

PS: I think that line was from the 2000 Hautacam stage when Javier Otxoa hit the wall
Ugh. My training buddy gets his Liget on when we're going. Its kinda annoying. haha. Its like...

An unnecessary commentation on our intervals.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
In a "coach" with some of his countrymen

On the eve of the 2004 Etape du Tour, I think that I was the lone American among a group of English riders who were taking the "coach" from St. Flour to Limoges after all of us had left our cars at the finish line of the next day's ride. At first, I thought that the guys in the bus were imitating Phil and Paul. Then, after four hours on the bus, realized that English riders just talk like Phil and Paul. I don't know which came first the Chicken or the Egg.

The two Liggettisms that most come to mind when I am riding are: "He's cracked" -- that's usually me. And, "He's dancing on the pedals" -- that's usually the guy in front of me who is leaving me behind on a climb.

·
Island Hopping cyclist
430 Posts
When the racers in a group ride take off: "The first pedal has been turned in anger"

Then, not soon after: "There is poor DieselDan getting shelled off the back"

Although, I believe both of those are from Paul Sherwin.

·
Registered
704 Posts
These days, my suitcase of courage is more like a small briefcase.

Meanwhile, if I ever got onto a finishing straight, I'd be coming down it like a small child after too long on a tricycle.

it's not so much them getting into your head - like a song you really can't stand - but them cropping up at all sorts of odd moments.

But, after once accindentally watching the commentators at a *ball game of some note (so my American wife told me :) ), we should be thankful that our sport has Phil and Paul...

D

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
Maybe the best one-line summation of a 21-day sporting event, ever:

"....He looked him right in the eyes and said, "Well, are you coming or not?"...and the answer is...NOT!"

And I suspect we'll hear this from Paul again, many many times this summer, maybe for the last time:

"He's a huuuuuuge man, and he's pushing a huuuuuuge gear!"

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've had the ol' "He's riding like a sack of potatoes" running through my head this weekend. But, I am trying to convince myself the 40+ km/h headwinds had something to do with it. :)

·
Registered
611 Posts
cadence90 said:
Maybe the best one-line summation of a 21-day sporting event, ever:

"....He looked him right in the eyes and said, "Well, are you coming or not?"...and the answer is...NOT!"
Would that be the infamous 'look' that Lance gave Jan during the TDF?

Jim

·
wheel to wheel
2,236 Posts
Seamus said:
Would that be the infamous 'look' that Lance gave Jan during the TDF?

Jim
Yes.
It's a super sequence of Phil (if you've never seen the tape you have to).
Phil was rambling on about something or other, then he just blurts out, "Armstrong's gone!" and then followed with that line "...and the answer is...NOT!".
Great call.
Maybe I'll watch it again tonight. :)

·
Administrator
12,942 Posts
Ah the ole suitcase of courage. . . .

:)

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Haha I love it, tonight I went up the local climb a bunch of times and "If you put your kill in like THAT, no one will follow" came into my head. That was when Botero bolted out of sight almost immediately on the Madeliene in 2000.

Paul has alot of good lines but a few of the more subtle lines drew my attention. "And Jan Ullrich is looking quite comfortable just now"

I love the "Just Now", when on the stationary watch tdf dvds ill go hard for 30 seconds when either of them say it.

Another one that pops into my head frequently on a tough climb is in the Giro 2005 when danilo da luca was struggling on the passo duran I believe, Paul says "And Danilo Da Luca must be wondering what day it is"

God theres so many its hard to remember

1 - 20 of 21 Posts