Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I rode this morning without issues. This afternoon (3:30pm EST) I went to open Zwift to modify tomorrow's workout and it won't start. I first get a blank white box that pops up on my laptop that says connection to the web page has been cancelled. There is an option to "refresh the page," which I do, and then get a 502 Bad Gateway. What's up??? Is it Zwift of something on my end? I actually can't log in to their site.

·
Jack of no trades
1,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everyone's starting to panic. Ha!

Yeah, I just got a quick response back from Zwift. It's on their end. They're working to fix the problem. Fingers crossed they're back up tomorrow morning; I'd hate to have to go back outside in the real world. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
I rode this morning without issues. This afternoon (3:30pm EST) I went to open Zwift to modify tomorrow's workout and it won't start. I first get a blank white box that pops up on my laptop that says connection to the web page has been cancelled. There is an option to "refresh the page," which I do, and then get a 502 Bad Gateway. What's up??? Is it Zwift of something on my end? I actually can't log in to their site.
They posted that the server was down. There seems to be a lot more problems on Zwift recently that seems coincident with a lot more riders being online. I am getting a bit worried that between this and launching the running app, the experience will get degraded

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
GCN crashed it.

They invited thousands of people to all join the same race at the same time and it crashed the servers. Who would have guessed?

It backfired on them too because they couldn't even get into the race themselves, so they sat there like a bunch of knobs commentating on nothing for an hour. Si never got to race or participate or anything.

It was only down for an hour by the way, they got things back going quite quickly.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
GCN said:
We’re really sorry that so many of you couldn’t join in with the first GCN Zwift Takeover. It’s no excuse, but the thousands of riders attempting to get into the race resulted in some technical problems. Perhaps too many of you turned up to beat Si Richardson?We are big believers in Zwift and their cutting-edge platform, and we’re confident these issues will be ironed out for future races. A big thanks from Team GCN to all of you who changed their plans, or stayed up into the early hours to join us in Zwift, or watched on YouTube or Facebook.
We promise to reschedule a race soon, once the team at Zwift give us the go ahead. You can guarantee Si will be suffering with you, and maybe Lasty will too!
The "race" was just full of cheaters anyway as you might imagine. Constant 7w/kg and such things. I don't think this idea will ever work, not only can you just cheat via your weight, you can cheat via your trainer too. After the fact they can try to check your Strava or whatever and possibly disqualify you from racing again, but like all cheaters they'll just make a new account.

Cheating in online video games is as old as the games are and there is no stopping it. If gaming company giants like Blizzard/Activision can't do anything about it, there's no way in hell a company like Zwift can.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
The "race" was just full of cheaters anyway as you might imagine. Constant 7w/kg and such things. I don't think this idea will ever work, not only can you just cheat via your weight, you can cheat via your trainer too. After the fact they can try to check your Strava or whatever and possibly disqualify you from racing again, but like all cheaters they'll just make a new account.

Cheating in online video games is as old as the games are and there is no stopping it. If gaming company giants like Blizzard/Activision can't do anything about it, there's no way in hell a company like Zwift can.
Zwift has made it pretty clear they don't want to get in business of policing. I can't think of any way they could do this unless they had some sort of verified measurement of each riders performance (perhaps an independent FTP score, or statistical comparison to past performance). I dont do the races so it really dont care that much. I just compete against myself.

·
Forever a Student
4,963 Posts
Zwift has made it pretty clear they don't want to get in business of policing. I can't think of any way they could do this unless they had some sort of verified measurement of each riders performance (perhaps an independent FTP score, or statistical comparison to past performance). I dont do the races so it really dont care that much. I just compete against myself.
What they've stated so far is that if you're finishing w/kg is at 5.0 or less, you will not be looked into. You can turn your trainer difficulty off, fudge your weight, skew your power meter, whatever you want up to 5.0w/kg average and nobody will do anything. Oh, and you have to be winning too. If you're cheating and not winning anything they won't care.

Above 5.0w/kg avg + winning and someone will look into you. Maybe from Zwift, maybe from one of the third party online leader boards, but someone will seek to verify your abilities somehow. You are forced to link your Strava account in order to be placed on leader boards. If it can be proven that you're cheating, Zwift will ban you from racing. They'll let you use the game for anything else but you won't be allowed to enter races.

That's what I've heard anyway, it was enough for me to decide I'm not getting involved at all with their races or any of the cock measuring bullshit like the segments. My weight is accurate, my trainer difficulty is max (which just means accurate, can't even make it go over accurate) and I don't care about anyone else. I don't race in real life and don't care to in fake life either.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
What they've stated so far is that if you're finishing w/kg is at 5.0 or less, you will not be looked into. You can turn your trainer difficulty off, fudge your weight, skew your power meter, whatever you want up to 5.0w/kg average and nobody will do anything. Oh, and you have to be winning too. If you're cheating and not winning anything they won't care.

Above 5.0w/kg avg + winning and someone will look into you. Maybe from Zwift, maybe from one of the third party online leader boards, but someone will seek to verify your abilities somehow. You are forced to link your Strava account in order to be placed on leader boards. If it can be proven that you're cheating, Zwift will ban you from racing. They'll let you use the game for anything else but you won't be allowed to enter races.

That's what I've heard anyway, it was enough for me to decide I'm not getting involved at all with their races or any of the cock measuring bullshit like the segments. My weight is accurate, my trainer difficulty is max (which just means accurate, can't even make it go over accurate) and I don't care about anyone else. I don't race in real life and don't care to in fake life either.
With my pathetic W/Kg I think I am well below the radar. If you are not racing on Zwift, I am not sure why the cheating bothers you so much.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts