Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I find that I simply am not awake and alert enough to work out first thing when I wake up. In order for me to get woke up BEFORE riding with any level of intensity at all, I would have to wake up at least an hour before riding, take in some stimulant, and then get ready to train. Next to impossible for me. I am disciplined enough to get on that trainer every evening AFTER the day is done, nearly regardless of how late I have to work. But this is becoming more challenging as my work hours continue to increase (CPA, it's tax season....blah, blah...)

Anybody else struggle with early morning workouts?

·
classiquesklassieker
3,106 Posts
ashpelham said:
I find that I simply am not awake and alert enough to work out first thing when I wake up. In order for me to get woke up BEFORE riding with any level of intensity at all, I would have to wake up at least an hour before riding, take in some stimulant, and then get ready to train. Next to impossible for me. I am disciplined enough to get on that trainer every evening AFTER the day is done, nearly regardless of how late I have to work. But this is becoming more challenging as my work hours continue to increase (CPA, it's tax season....blah, blah...)

I'm sure there are others with the same challenge, and they are usually call themselves "non-early morning people". Is there a reason that you are particularly concerned or are you just complaining? ;-)

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
ashpelham said:

I commute 5-6 days a week and am on the road within 15 minutes of waking up. The heavy traffic in the first 4 miles of my commute is my stimulant. I do have the same issues as you on weekend rides. I will wake up an hour before I have to leave, make coffee, eat some cereal or eggos, and basically move around until it is time to leave. This time of year I have to drive to meet the group ride since it is not daylight until 7am and that is when the ride rolls out. I get up at 5:30 and leave the house by 6:15am. I realize that not everyone can commute, but it has solved my finding time to ride problems.

·
What the Hell is going on
4,992 Posts
Maybe your condition is dietary

I used to have the same problem. I commute to work. My ride is 12 miles (one way) and it's pancake flat. When ever I have an early work schedule it would take me at least an hour to "wake" myself for the ride. I would feel so lethargic in the early morning. I chalked it up to not "being a morning" person. This past August I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes. After cutting out the sodas, Ho-Ho's, Ding-Dong's, Twinkies, etc., I no longer feel so lethargic.

BTW, I'm still not a morning person. Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Sluggish awakenings.

ashpelham said:

I did experience the relentless lethargy sleepiness in the mornings. I also used to snore a lot, and was obese, and after a sleep study, we discovered I suffer from obstructive sleep apnea, a sleeping disorder caused by the closing of the airway during sleep- fragmenting the sleep and disrupting its healing qualities. Now, after using the sleep apnea machine (CPAP) and loosing 45 lbs., I feel more energetic, get a better quality of sleep, feel more rested upon arising, and ready for my early AM rides!

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
I prefer later rides

I commute to work two to four days per week (well, a little less lately due to work and my wife's travel schedule -- when she is out of town, I have to drive the kids to school). I have no problem getting on the bike to commute. But, I also have been up for about 90 minutes before I leave the house (breakfast, read the paper, shower, shave, etc.). On the weekends, however, I really cannot motivate myself for a long ride until I have been up for a few hours, eaten breakfast and a second meal of some sort. This is especially true during the cold weather/dark months. My current weekend patterns is to go out on a ride around 1:00 or 2:00 p.m. Now, if I am riding with someone, I can drag myself out of the house for an early morning ride and in hot weather I will ride early in the day to beat the heat.

I wouldn't worry about your "problem" too much. After all, each stage of the Tour de France starts around Noon and I don't hear the riders complaining about that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts