Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
227 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just when you think you have control on your buying...

I thought I had done a good job of thinning down the bike herd and was well on my road to recovery from bike-buying. I sold most of my frames and was down to a built up Bianchi and my lovely black, gold, and silver Tommasini SLX Super Prestige frame and fork, which I planned to list for sale this spring.

Then along comes a lugged SLX New NOS Marinoni...beautiful blue and silver air-brushed paint scheme and I couldn't say no because the Marinonis I have owned have been such great bikes.

Then, an opportunity to buy another new Habanero ti frame at a nice price. I had one built up last spring and thought it was a great value and ride, but sold it thinking I was going to just ride one steel bike.

Then a older model lugged steel Trek 400 frame and fork on eBay that I could donate to a group that builds up bikes for transportation for folks who have no other means of transportation:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7220085711

Then, was going to bed late the other evening and saw on eBay this beautiful replica Gios Torino like I had wanted when Excel was selling them as a limited edition run:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7220151798

Then, saw a Tommasini SLX Super Prestige repainted in fire engine red:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7220242627

Finally, I had bid $106 on this one yesterday and ended up winning it tonight. I think it may find its way into the bike transportation folks' hands also:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7219891375

Now I am back to having too many frames although I am barely riding at all lately. Is there a way to surrender my eBay credentials since I seem to have no ability to control myself? I hope no more bikes I have bids on come through...I am bike poor! I am deleting all the things on my watched items list to help with the temptation...

·
A Canadian in Sweden
6,130 Posts
You should have just pm'd TerryB and Akirasho about this one ;) .
Cheers, Wayne
ps. I only have three bicycles, my pride and joy being my Moots Vamoots.

·
Registered
2,720 Posts
Frank121 said:
I thought I had done a good job of thinning down the bike herd and was well on my road to recovery from bike-buying. I sold most of my frames and was down to a built up Bianchi and my lovely black, gold, and silver Tommasini SLX Super Prestige frame and fork, which I planned to list for sale this spring.

Then along comes a lugged SLX New NOS Marinoni...beautiful blue and silver air-brushed paint scheme and I couldn't say no because the Marinonis I have owned have been such great bikes.

Then, an opportunity to buy another new Habanero ti frame at a nice price. I had one built up last spring and thought it was a great value and ride, but sold it thinking I was going to just ride one steel bike.

Then a older model lugged steel Trek 400 frame and fork on eBay that I could donate to a group that builds up bikes for transportation for folks who have no other means of transportation:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7220085711

Then, was going to bed late the other evening and saw on eBay this beautiful replica Gios Torino like I had wanted when Excel was selling them as a limited edition run:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7220151798

Then, saw a Tommasini SLX Super Prestige repainted in fire engine red:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7220242627

Finally, I had bid $106 on this one yesterday and ended up winning it tonight. I think it may find its way into the bike transportation folks' hands also:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7219891375

Now I am back to having too many frames although I am barely riding at all lately. Is there a way to surrender my eBay credentials since I seem to have no ability to control myself? I hope no more bikes I have bids on come through...I am bike poor! I am deleting all the things on my watched items list to help with the temptation...

I got an idea. Set yourself a 100 mile limit. You have to put at least 100 miles on a bike before you have earned the right to buy another one..

.... and why would you buy a Basso to donate???? Not that donating is a bad thing, but if you are going to donate a bike, there are other more appropiate bikes.

edited to add... I just looked up your auction prices... you need a 1000 mile limit..

·
Registered
197 Posts
cure: get married, have child, buy house

I used to buy bikes just because I liked them and needed something to do. Then along came marriage, fatherhood, and a new house with mortgage. Now I feel guilty even buying tires. My wife doesn't make me feel guilty....I feel guilty just because of how many other competing demands there are on the paycheck. Now I wonder if I'll ever get another bike......though I have a stable of some very nice rides that will easily last the rest of my life with just replacement of wear items. Sigh.......even though I wouldn't trade the choices I've made for anything, its depressing sometimes to not be able to just buy a new bike for the hell of it.

·
Registered
6,018 Posts
frames are my weakness

I'm into retro-style steel frames. There seems to be many great steel bargains out there since the market has become so weight-obsessed. The problem is what it costs to build them up, which can far exceed the price of the frame. I've got an Ebay impulse buy Coppi Genius frame in the basement just waiting for some extra cash to buy some parts to build it up. Its a disease

·
Resident Curmudgeon
11,980 Posts
I find that I'm able to resist buying bikes pretty well. I just can't stop buying stuff for them. Tires, cassettes, clothes, computers, seat posts, bars, etc., etc. :(

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'm with versatile...

For me buying bikes is not the issue. But every time I think I have everything I "need", something new comes along. New specialized shoes are on the way. Someone should start a support group - biker's anonymous - with support buddies and the whole bit.

·
Registered
727 Posts
you are SO lucky i didn't see that white trek steel frame before you, that thing would make SUCH a sweet fixie. glad it's going to a good cause, though!

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
Yes, I have a bit of a sweet tooth when it comes to bikes. I like building them and I like keeping a couple of projects on tap. But I hate selling them so the result is the beginning of a collection.

It only becomes a problem when you run out of storage and work space. At that point you could do what I did and have a building built out back. Although I'm starting to run out of space there too.

Frames alone though present less of a problem - they're far easier to store. This year I switch strategies - no more complete bikes. One goes down if one comes up.

·
gastarbeiter
1,513 Posts
Nope.

I find the bike gluttony here kind of sick. What's missing in your life that you trying to fill with a new bike?

That said, I do collect watches. Currentlt have over 20. much easier to store ;)

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts
botto said:
Nope.

I find the bike gluttony here kind of sick. What's missing in your life that you trying to fill with a new bike?

That said, I do collect watches. Currentlt have over 20. much easier to store ;)
What's missing in your life that makes you want to collect watches? That said, I collect watches also. ;)

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
TurboTurtle said:
I could stop any time I want to. - TF
Just one more and that would be it for moi ;)

If the world ended tomorrow and I was the only survivor I think I could ride for the rest of my life without needing anything...:eek: but then I again wouldn't there be plenty of everything let alone bikes...? :rolleyes:

·
Adrenalina Italiana
987 Posts
uuuuuuuuh.......no.

I can honestly say that my trigger finger has a mind of its own. Owning 5 bikes, I vowed to control my bike purchasing habits and made this a new year's resolution.

That said,I recently purchased a new frame two months into the year.What can I say? You try handling a '06 Tarmac SL frame in your grimmies and tell me you could contain yourself.....I thought so,neither could I.

·
What the Hell is going on
5,155 Posts
Horology & cycling

Hey, I thought I was the only one. I have to admit that I'm addicted to eBay and that I bid on stuff for project bikes I don't even own yet. Over the past two months I bought three frames an RB-2 (super schweet), a Bottecchia (red with chrome lugs, what else is there) and a purple Cinelli. Total bike count (with frames) is 12 (one mtb. bike)

Like Botto I just started collecting watches!!! After a recent trip to Asia I was able to pick up some nice looking, albiet fake, Panerai watches, an A. Lange & Sohne, and a Rolex (of course). All of them cost around $30.00 and all are still working and keeping excellent time. My newest and ligitimate watch purchase is the Invicta Russian Diver.

Man, is there some sort of 12 step program of this affliction?

·
Banned
2,302 Posts
yup, I've got a problem too

I used to do a lot of cycling then didn't cycle much (climbed instead) and now that I'm back in ohio where there's no rocks to climb I *plan* to get back into cycling. In the past two weeks I have purchased 2 frames on ebay, a Litespeed Tachyon (Triathalon, aero down and seat tubes) and a 1990 Cannondale 3.0. In the picture of the Tachyon it appeared the down and seat tubes were circular but then "squished" towards the BB. Well I got it and am not a fan of the ovalized tubing. Anyone want a 55cm Tachyon for a really good deal, pm me! I need to stay off of ebay!!!! But for getting 6/7 speed era stuff its the best place.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
yes, 2 this week on ebay

have several more i am watching.
i did sell my car in october though. still does not explain why i have 5 complete road bikes, 1 cross, 2 mtn, one tri bike. also have 2 unbuilt frames. plus now the 2 new bikes en route.

anyway, i will sell most/several in the spring/summer when my credit card's zero interest is about to expire.
visa lets me ride around on them awhile, then ebay lets me pass along the bike and the bill to someone else.

jim

·
What the Hell is going on
5,155 Posts
Graham Chronofighter Classic

terry b said:
I'm just back from Shanghai, packing 2 Patek Phillipes and an A.Lange. Nice guilty pleasure at $27 apiece.
Schweet! I'm a big fan of the "big" watches like the Panerai. In the Phillippines there's a place called Green Hills. You can get a bunch of "stuff" there. In fact, I saw a whole bunch of those ubiquitous brown Louis Vitton bags. The quality is iffy but if you know what to look for . . . you can get a fairly good quality timepiece. I had to pass on a Graham Chronofighter Classic 'cause the "fast action lever" was suspect.

·
rock n rolling resistance
851 Posts
What's the deal with bicycles and watches...? It seems Mike at Maestro also is into watches...

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.